Vanguard VOO

Discussion in 'ETFs' started by Landonfisher, Apr 16, 2018.

1. VOO summary (From Vanguard Website):
    • Invests in stocks in the S&P 500 Index, representing 500 of the largest U.S. companies.
    • Goal is to closely track the index’s return, which is considered a gauge of overall U.S. stock returns.
    • Offers high potential for investment growth; share value rises and falls more sharply than that of funds holding bonds.
    • More appropriate for long-term goals where your money’s growth is essential.
    Let's discuss about VOO and other alternatives, such as VTI, VXT.
    Why do you prefer VOO rather than others?

HumbleTime and murray t turtle like this.
  2. DaveV

DaveV

VOO has almost exactly the same holdings and weights as SPY, but with a slightly lower expense ratio (0.04% for VOO, 0.09% for SPY). However, SPY is slightly more liquid, so you may as well own SPY instead of VOO.

VTI is also heavily correlated with SPY, but with slightly different holdings.

From a statistical standpoint (using Pearson Correlation), the prices changes of VOO is 100% correlated with SPY, and VTI is 99% correlated.

What is VXT?

Landonfisher and murray t turtle like this.
  3. %%
    Agree; I much prefer SPY. Mainly, because I have many charts/many years of SPY, so its slight higher cost means nothing to me. Vanguard + VOO may help markets in the sense that any competition is good.......................................................................................................:cool::cool:

Landonfisher likes this.
  4. I am not very clear about the significant different between VOO and VTI, VXT.
    I bought IVV for years.
    If you like IVV, I can explain it to you. :D

Landonfisher likes this.
  5. DaveV

DaveV

SPY, VOO and IVV usually have __exactly__ the same holdings and weights. They are all based off the S&P index, and the only difference in holdings is that any changes to the S&P index are applied on different days to the 3 ETFs. Hence, the price changes in SPY, VOO and IVV are 100% statistically correlated. So the only difference between the 3 ETFS is in the expense ratio, the bid/ask spread, and the liquidity.

murray t turtle likes this.
  6. Sorry, VXT is a typo, I wanted to type VXF.

Based on some data, VOO returned slightly more than SPY in term of performance in the past five years.

Both VOO and SPY are good. However, I only wanna choose the best one to invest.

7. It seem SPY is more popular.

8. Please share your thoughts about IVV with me.

HumbleTime likes this.
  9. There are three reasons to buy IVV, first of all, it exposure to large, established U.S. companies; secondly, low cost; thirdly, long-term growth opportunities in your portfolio.

Hope this can help you.

Landonfisher likes this.
  10. Thank you.
    Can you tell me how long do you hold IVV?

#10     Apr 19, 2018
    HumbleTime likes this.