Vancouver listed as the Best City in the world to live in :D

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by mahram, Oct 5, 2005.

1. or the stupid kids that drive in cars, they can barely control at 30 miles an hour, and they decide to race at 90miles an hour :D

#11     Oct 5, 2005
  2. ozzy

ozzy

Vancouver gets Two Thumbs up. The only problem I have with it is trying to wake up at 5:00 AM.

I think I'll be moving to europe in the next year or two (if I'm still in the game) for more favorable trading hours.

ozz

#12     Oct 5, 2005
  3. BARLI

BARLI

that thing that happened in Port Coquitlam was scary

#13     Oct 5, 2005
  4. The pacific northwest is an interesting place .... but it has its share of problems. I have worked there for long stretches but I would not think about moving my family there ..... I think if you are single and like the outdoors then its fine place to live ...provided you are plugged into the seatlle or bellevue/redmond area business scene in some way. Vanc. is just too slow and removed from things for my tastes ...

#14     Oct 5, 2005
  5. I dont know about seattle, if you live outside of seattle and have to come in the traffic on some days are headache, especially when they close down a couple of lanes, or when your getting out of the city in a bad hour, like after a mariners game.

#15     Oct 5, 2005
  6. Hi all,

I live in Vancouver and absolutely love it. Iam originally from Ottawa. Vancouver is definately my home now. I've been all over the world and can honestly say this is a gem of a city.

I recently posted a thread a few days ago about getting into trading. I have zero background. However, I want to learn and get involved.
    Any of you Vancouverites have any input about resources in the city? I 've done some research but perhaps I am missing something. Also, any comments about Bright ( Vancouver) ?

#16     Oct 5, 2005
  7. As i am from Victoria i prefer there. Less concrete and highrises, more trees and old buildings. Plus its cheaper for me. Depends totally on what you like though.

#17     Oct 5, 2005
  8. BARLI

BARLI

christopher, so from your experience Vancouver is the best? i was there during Aug 2003- Jan 2004 and enjoyed it there. i loved mild winter, while in Toronto, Montreal and Calgary theres -40 celcius in the winter Vancouver enjoys its average winter temperature of +6. the olny thing i didnt like is that it rained tooo much. but from locals i heard that rains is what made the region so green and beautiful.

i hope to go back there.

christopher, my advice to you is to first read some of the following books:

Market Wizards
    Reminiscences of Stock Operator
    (these 2 books are from master traders' own experience and you learn a lot about the psych of trading)

When i was just starting Market Wizards helped me a lot psychologically... Rem. OF Stock Operator will show you what NOT to do in order not to go broke in the game. I personally admire Jesse Livermore though he went broke 4 times and ended up badly, but you dont have to repeat his mistakes. and these books wont give you an edge to trading but they'll give some very good hints on how to trade succefully, another important thing is that you dont have to repeat mistakes those master traders did when they were beggining in the business of trading.
    IF you want some pit-trader trading wisdom (day trading oriented) Logical Trader by Mark Fisher is the best thing out there. you can also watch his seminars for free on here:

http://www.clicklive.com/NYMEX/symposium_2003/content_page.htm

there are some other great people talking during that NYMEX Symposium, my favortie are Paul Jones and Ari Kiev. the book of Ari Kiev - Trading To Win will let you get rid of bad habbits that often become obstacles for traders to rid their profits and so on.
    If you wanna know some vital statistics of the markets and how people came to them i suggest you reading Toby Crable's book "Day Trading With Short Term Price Patterns and Opening Range Breakout "
    and Larry Williams Long Term Secrets To Short Term Trading.

Its the best thing to take your time and start slowly. i didnt take that advice and it costed me money.

After you've gone through all the stuff and came out with some kind of a concept(set of trading rules, the edge, call it whatever you want) you can then paper trade for a little while and see how you're doing. you can always lose your money, so dont hurry to trade.

hope this helps

#18     Oct 5, 2005
  9. I would personally learn everything I can before I enter any shop for trading. I would personally start with alan farley's master swing trader, then technical analysis book. You can pick up all of these book for free in the vancouver public library or at the library at UBC, so there no costs. Also you can read the wsj, economist, and all of the recent plus back copy of most money magazines there. Also before you jump in turn on a scroller, with dow jones, nasdaq, and sandp, to get the feeling of the markets.

#19     Oct 5, 2005
  10. Sam123

Sam123 Guest

These rankings always ignore weather. If Vancouver didn't rain you into depression, it's a great place to be. Just make sure you go South for the winter.

#20     Oct 5, 2005