Van Tharp's Position Sizing Game

Discussion in 'Risk Management' started by L943973, Sep 27, 2022.

1. L943973

L943973

For anyone interested, Van Tharp has a position sizing game that you can use to test your risk management. There are I think 10 levels and the first 3 are free. The goal is to make 50% by 75 trades. They provide the parameters on the strategy and you manage the risk.

Position Sizing Game, a Profit Trainer Tool - Van Tharp Institute

I only did the first 3 levels. Not sure if I want to pay for the rest.

Statistical Trader likes this.
  2. L943973

L943973

You start with 10k at Level 1 and work with that.

Since it was just a game, drawdowns be dammed, I just maxed out the risk at 4% per trade.
    (Kept all the trades and balances on a spreadsheet)

Finished level 1 at 23k.
    Started level 2 at 23k and finished up at 39k
    Started level 3 at 39k but by trade 40, the game halted me saying I was too lucky because I was already at 233k. Never got to finish that level.

What I did learn from this is that if you risk only 0.5%, then you'll never get the big returns you are expecting. Even the game will prompt you if your risk is too low. Your basically treading water with such a low risk tolerance

3. Whoever said risk only .5%, or 1%, or 2% of your account on a trade...is stupid. And people who follow that general, cliche, common, textbook rule are stupid. That's a very scared, defensive, rule for people who don't know nothing, and are purely dumb luck gambling.

nrstrader and murray t turtle like this.
  4. Be careful with blanket statements.

The optimal amount to risk on any given trade depends (rather dramatically) on the distribution of profits and losses that underlie that strategy.

There are cases where you can make more money (not just higher risk-adjusted return) by risking less on each trade. (An example of this follows.)

There are other cases where it is best to risk more. It really depends.

As an exercise, take the following game. You start with $100. You decide in advance what percent of your stake you are going to bet on each flip of a coin. If it comes up heads, I pay you double what you bet (eg: you bet $5 and get heads -> you get your $5 back plus another $10). If it comes up tails, I take what you bet (eg: you bet $5 and get tails -> you lose your $5). Note that if you choose 5%, for example, then you bet 5% on each flip... so if your stake grows to $200, you are now committed to betting $10 on each flip.

This is obviously a very good game to play; assuming a fair coin the "odds" are clearly in your favour. Nevertheless, the 'best' fraction of your bankroll is not just "as much as possible." If you bet everything, one tails and you lose everything. The question is this: if your objective is simply to maximize your winnings after some very large number of tosses, what is the optimal fraction to bet on each flip? Secondly, if your objective is to maximize something else (eg: sharpe, etc) what is the optimal fraction to bet?

Once you can answer this, use the distributions of profits and losses from whatever strategy you are using. You might be surprised by the results.

....Or maybe not, who knows? After all, I have no clue how "you" trade. But what is optimal for one strategy is not what is optimal for another... and I'm not even talking about differences in objectives, risk tolerance, time horizon, etc, etc from person to person.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2022
    Picaso, Stratter and trismes like this.
  5. 0.5, 1 or 2% is fine for big accounts and for those already wealthy. You don't want to blow up a big account, betting 5% or 10% etc.

For pikers with small accounts, like 5K or 10K, you can bet bigger, because 2% is just $100 or $200. So you might want to bet 5% or more. And if you blow up its no big deal. You can earn that kind of money back from your day job in a few months.

6. Sekiyo

Sekiyo

That’s not true.
    You can make crazy returns risking only 0.5%.

Example :

Bankroll 100,000$
    Risk 0.5% = 500$

Buy @ 100
    Stop loss @ 99
    Position size 500$ / 1 = 500 shares

Stock move up 5% to 105
    You’ve made 2500$ or 2.5% on a 5% move.

Risking only 0.5% …
    While the position was 50% of your account.

7. Sekiyo

Sekiyo

No it’s not fine.
    For most, the tiniest exposure is bad.
    Why ? Because they have no edge.

The more you bet. The more you lose.
    Beginners are way over leveraged.
    Under betting should be finer.

Stay in the game long enough just to learn.
    That should be the goal #1

Leverage will bust even a profitable strategy.

8. Sekiyo

Sekiyo

By the way you can find kelly criterion bet sizing calculators online. It tells you how much to risk to maximize the growth of your returns over time. Based on the expectancy.

Most bet half kelly because of errors and deviations around the statistics.

Over Betting leads to ruin 100% of the time.

9. %%
    Depends on the market.
    I could exchange some home improvement material for bid price[as long as i seldom did that]
    They had a right o charge me a 10% restock fee, but did not for good commercial accounts.
    So i would not quarrel with CME rule\ 20% is reckess[stupid];
    on that cash business i could risk much more/ so it depends on market + how much time you may average from a blow up or bankruptcy.
    Blowing up an account 2 or 3 time may prove one is trying to do something the market is not giving:D:D

#10     Sep 28, 2022