Van Tharp, Landry and Connors material for sale

Discussion in 'Trading' started by MYDemaray, Jul 16, 2005.

1. Dave, I've learned a lot from your stuff in particular. My background is in fundamental analysis and I didn't have much experience looking at a chart -- so learning about day to day price action was pretty important. For me, blending the two has been great. Thanks.

I think lots of people (myself include) hate TradingMarkets in-your-face sales approach as well as the curve-fitted systems they keep pumping out at high prices. It comes across as disingenious and really being in their best interest rather than the traders. That said, over the years I found a lot of good insights there -- many from you. I'm no longer a member, but I can say it helped me early on.

Cheers.

#11     Jul 26, 2005
  2. ScaleOut

ScaleOut

"I actually never got around to using the Van Tharp stuff. I've read his book which I found useful at the time, but the tapes sat on my shelf for a few years and I never listened to them. I guess I'm at the point where I feel like I've found my stride and edge and I'm liquidating a lot of my books/tapes/courses/whatever, etc because I feel like I don't need them anymore. Truth be told, I'm cleaning out my office, so either someone else gets them or they go in the trash.

In the last 48 hours I've sold a number of books that others here consistently espouse as being great: Trading in the Zone, Disciplined Trader, Master Swing Trader, etc. etc. I didn't make copies.

The books that I'm holding on to are ones that I find myself consistently re-reading or using as reference: Option Volatility and Pricing, Trading Risk, Money Management for Futures Traders, Options as a Strategic Investment, etc.

Believe it or not I found the Connors/Landry stuff helpful in my early years of trading. More to get a feel for the markets (which of course there is no substitute to watching them day after day). Not because I applied what they taught rigidly, but because it prompted other ideas and understandings. Obviously TradingMarkets, like all the other gurus is self-serving. So, to answer your question, yes they aren't useful to me anymore -- but that doesn't mean they weren't useful at one point or won't be useful to someone else.

I don't know about you, but I never took a course in college more than once -- I don't think it should come as any suprise that someone doesn't need to step through a trading course more than once either to get the point."

This is an excellent well-thought-out response to an idiotic question or two that challenged the person's integrity. I have a few hundred trading books myself, along with many tradingmarkets.com courses, etc., that I am going to unload in the near future -- ALL ORIGINALS -and it has nothing at all to do with them being worthless. Almost every book and course has a point or two that can be useful in ultimately developing one's niche in the marketplace. I will sell mine for the same reason as the writer -- I'm cleaning house, have integrated all the material from the books and courses that gave me an edge into my trading, and that's it. ET readers too frequently challenge the motive of honest people who simply no longer need certain trading stuff. Give it a break!

#12     Jul 26, 2005
  3. How does one say Mega-Amen to that... other than <b><font size="12" color="#7D8AAC" face="Times New Roman, Times, serif">AMEN</font></b>

Nicely said MYDemaray and i appreciate your poise 'under fire'

:p

cj

If You Have The Vision We Have The Code

#13     Jul 26, 2005
  4. Did you follow everything you said? Are you up nicely?

I think Dave Landry runs a hedge fund that specializes in bond options. Shouldn't that be his expertise to package and sell, as opposed to equity trading?

#14     Jul 26, 2005
  5. 64c2

64c2

Are your prices negotiable? They seem high.

#15     Aug 22, 2005
  6. Email me and I will be happy to discuss this further.

Also, Trading Markets often has a sale around Labor Day.
    Dave

#16     Aug 22, 2005