Value of Financial TV channels: CNBC, Bloomberg.

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by Bitstream, Aug 28, 2005.

1. I want to start this thread to hear different opinions on the value of these media as a tool for traders.

I personally find Bloomberg and CNBC very boring, opinionated and above all utterly useless in helping traders make sound decisions.
    The only valuable thing they offer are the free quotes and the very occasional insights into the pit trader's mind.

2. Chagi

Chagi

I used to watch Report on Business TV a great deal during the past year, but have gradually ended up narrowing that down to just a couple of shows: the Business News, and Squeezeplay.

Generally speaking I think that the primary benefit of Business television is to watch the major news items in order to help get a better picture of how sectors are doing, as well as the overall macro picture.

I personally find the call-in analyst shows to be pretty damn useless, aside from occassionally introducing you to a new stock that hadn't previously been on your radar. I'm sure that there are many viewers that base their buy/sell actions on what the talking heads tell them to do though...

3. I only watch the call in shows when Ross Healy is on. He is the "Great One" of Canadian investing.

4. And what about Maria b.?
    I think she is pretty cute:D

5. Holmes

Holmes

Zilch, Zero, Nul, Nichts, Nyet, 0, :p

If they could trade they would be making money instead of sitting in a stuffy office under bright lights.

Sherlock
    :cool:

6. .

Chaqi: I personally find the call-in analyst shows to be pretty damn useless, aside from occassionally introducing you to a new stock that hadn't previously been on your radar.

SouthAmerica: If you want to find an occasional gem here and there you will do much better in the market by reading “Barron’s” weekly.

I had a friend, that over a period of over 30 years he did very well in the stock market, he never missed reading “Barron’s” – he did read it every week, and he used to find nice little stocks on “Barron’s”.

He did read about some of these little stocks and then started checking them out on a regular basis until he felt comfortable investing his money on these stocks. He usually got in the stock before the heard, and did very well over the years – some of the stocks that he got in early in the game: Bandag, Donkin Donuts, Dairy Queen, and others that I can’t remember anymore. But they all had one thing in common, he did read about these stocks on “Barron’s” before the stocks were in anyone else’s radar.

He used to tell me all the time to read “Barron’s” and I would also find these little gems before the heard. Even though there were articles about these stocks on “Barron’s” sometimes took time for the other people to realize the actual potential of these stocks.

7. dont

dont

My best was when they were interviewing some guy from a bank. He suddenly stops and doesn't know what to say. It was pretty obvious that he was reading a teleprompt.

8. ====================
    Bitstream;

InvestorsBusiness Daily is much better and sis company;
    investors.com

Bloomberg , which had Steve Nison on =notably better than CNBC;
    Is Art Cashin not on CNBC anymore, havent wanted to watch it enough to know?????

CNBC wrongly called bottoms for years ,last bear market;
    & was skeptical to the point of stupidity on bull market uptrends,
    but thier actual trader comments are good like Rick Santelli-Chicago.

Wisdom is profitable to direct.

9. most dependable in descending order:
    bloomberg
    reuter
    dj
    cnbc

10. Ebo

Ebo

I still get wood from Sylvia!:eek:

#10     Sep 1, 2005