Value of Education

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by kamdooo, May 27, 2005.

1. kamdooo

kamdooo  

just to clear things up as well. Someone in this threat mentioned that I thought everyone at ET was a "loser" (i'm not sure how you define that...)

i'll make a few grand sweeping generalizations:

the majority of ET members are uneducated. Those who are are not part of the elite. Some are from respectable institutions (respectable in the sense the get the wow factor on the street)

As a result, most ET members give some pretty awful advice that is cockeyed at best when considering regular careers.

Aside from this, I don't have any opinion on the winner/loser status of ET members. For all I know, people here are just flowing in the dough from home in their boxers. Or maybe they are acting like crass monkeys in an absurdly run down ARCADE, rolling their wads of cash, lighting them on fire, and hurling them at each other while paying off the fed for burning government property. (for the last time its not a god damn "prop" shop....we make distinctions so we can tell the difference between shit and shat. Next thing you know we're going to all start calling squares rectangles because of their "sameness".

So no...ET is not full of "losers"...and I don't buy that statistical bs either about how everyone here MUST be a loser based on these fictitious success rates....you can't even trust scientific studies that have been going on for the past 2 decades on milk....good for you? Bad for you? I certainly don't buy a few monkeys spouting off "99 out of 100 traders loooooossee..." i swear to god i'm living in the mist when i hear these same monkeys start talking about standard deviation this, probability that, mean variance this...can't even fucking prove any of the first principles that these "practical" tools are based on, let alone explain this "99 out of 100 traders" bs survey/experiment, i don't even know what to call it....

When you are a moron, everything is anecdotal or gained through first hand experience.

I do agree that people with different backgrounds see things differently. However I don't agree with the language used to structure the explanation in such a way as to confine uneducated people to "a bottom of a building". We see things differently from one another to begin with...add in a little difference here, a little difference there, and you've got conflict a'brewing. Education is a big difference. But thats it...its just a difference. There no reason why some poor high school dropout turned wealthy arcade trader cannot attain the knowledge or functional skills of an accountant or lawyer with due time.

but potential doesn't buy you nice things or a work ethic. Educated people usually have more of each.

#21     May 27, 2005
  2. Isn't...shouldn't being or remaining nimble minded important? I can talk to a trader for a few minutes and tell how quick he is with the right questions and casual responses with reactions...

But some can mask it well...But who am I ? I am no brainchild (just on the creative side and a slightly higher untrained IQ).

But I sing great in the shower!

Michael B.
    P.S. what was that Peter Sellers Movie..where he became President of the United States...? Brilliant! (and he didn't even know it)

"Being There"

http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/8200/being.html

#22     May 27, 2005
  3. trader99

trader99

I did NOT make that comparison exactly. What I said was the MW are "brilliant" at the markets, but not necessarily book smart. But I didn't equate brilliance in trading with necessarily street smarts.

Street smarts is more of an EQ thing, which is a totally SEPARATE issue from what you were debating about trading requiring higher ed.

You can have higher/lower/no education and have high IQ and high EQ, High IQ and Low EQ, Low IQ and HIGH EQ, or Low IQ and Low EQ!

#23     May 27, 2005