Value of an advanced business degree (MBA, MSF) going forward

Discussion in 'Economics' started by milktruck, Feb 5, 2009.

1. I do not have an MBA. I have Experience from Trading and Land/Commerical RE development.

GS will soon be a Depository bank, like all the rest. In fact, GS is about to lay off a lot of "IB" guys shortly.

Who would want to work for a "Publical Financial Co." now adays anyway? Soon, they will all be owned by the gov. GS, BAC, MS, etc will be "Governmental Workers.".....

I landed a Job in Private Equity. Small Firm private Firm, in fact, Zero MBA's in our firm of 10 Private Equity Brokers. Just needed to the series 22, 63.

I think what ever Hybrid "Investment Firms" pop up will not seek MBA's righ out of school. They will seek guys who can close Million Dollar deals, guys who can build relationships with those that have High net worths, (10 to 100 million), guys that have the balls and skills to turn "NO" into Yes.

We have "Lawyers" who handle our contracts, Accountant who handels the K1s to the Joint Ventures. ZERO MBA's.

I thought about going and getting one, but why? I already have the skills I need to be successful in the Private Equity World. All these skills were taught on the job.

My advice, way your options and think about all those unemployed and soon to be unemployed MBA's that you have to compete against who have experience.

#11     Feb 5, 2009
  2. I have an MBA. I disagree with many of you about it's worthless value. As well as anything in life......."there are pilots and there are pilots" same thing holds for MBA.

We are not entrepreneurs, we are professional administrators. Find yourself the difference.

If you have a problem with MBA go to the top 10 business school. They are the ones manufacturing our great business and political leaders from wall street and Washington.

Those of us who did not go to these "high quality universities" have a different approach to business.

#12     Feb 5, 2009
  3. dcvtss

dcvtss

Surely you jest

#13     Feb 5, 2009
  4. what???

#14     Feb 5, 2009
  5. dcvtss

dcvtss

I was just pointing out that the recent track record of our business and political leaders does not really warrant them being called "great"

#15     Feb 5, 2009
  6. i was making fun "great"

#16     Feb 5, 2009
  7. dcvtss

dcvtss

OK sorry it's hard to tell sometimes

#17     Feb 5, 2009
  8. haha, funny you guys mention, I was working on a trading desk. Long story.

I wouldnt go back, Id rather trade for myself for so many reasons.

Im thinking Id rather be a carpenter or something in my spare time and take the MSF for shits and giggles later on. Any trades pay well? I met an electrician with 20 years experience who cant get hired right now.

#18     Feb 5, 2009
  9. wave

wave

I always recommend education and further learning in life. But for what it's worth, I have undergrad in Computer Science and Masters in Telecommunications. I have always worked in IT in various industries including investment banking. I am not CFA or pedigreed economics graduate. Will it help your corporate career life? Certainly. Do you need it for trading? Certainly not. I interviewed at one of the top 3 hedge funds in the world and got an offer based on what I explained to them over the phone about my trading system. I never did take the offer, but kept it on the table for future if needed. So there you have it.

But my sincere advice? Get the education. Trading only works if you figure it out and that is the hardest part and may take years and you may never devise a method that works well enough. Some do and go on to perhaps be the next Cohens and Tudors of the world. Whatever you do, don't hold back. Be relentless, take care of your health and your soul. Don't ever sell out in life.

#19     Feb 5, 2009
  10. wave

wave

as EMRGLOBAL says:

"I think what ever Hybrid "Investment Firms" pop up will not seek MBA's righ out of school. They will seek guys who can close Million Dollar deals, guys who can build relationships with those that have High net worths, (10 to 100 million), guys that have the balls and skills to turn "NO" into Yes."

This is where you should focus. I worked at a swiss investment bank and this is where you should focus if that is what you want of course.

#20     Feb 5, 2009