value investor journal

Discussion in 'Journals' started by indo, Sep 22, 2003.

1. I aim for a few hundred % a year. I agree though, you have to avoid those drawdowns. DDN was another micro company that has been a powerhouse this year. My basis is 2.25.

#11     Sep 23, 2003
  2. JNJ is hardly cheap. Looking into the future, their stent products are inferior and the government is about to crack down on some of their other core businesses. That is why it is at a below historic multiple. Still, you can buy the same growth at 1/3 the multiple.

If you like stents, look at CTE, theirs will cook the JNJ ones. I have no CTE position.

#12     Sep 23, 2003
  3. indo

indo

i totally agree with you, the fundamental aspects of an organization are utmost important. I am merely going after companies which will appreciate in the future and also give out great dividend while i wait a bit.

My hopes are not to get instantaneously rich but to grow my assets over time. Im 23 years old so yes i have a longtime before i retire.

#13     Sep 23, 2003
  4. thats a nice one. maybe you could drop a few ideas here also and we can get a longer term thread to keep going. not everyone on elite scalps.

#14     Sep 23, 2003
  5. indo

indo

Jnj are obviously facing challenges thus the stock is historically at a low multiple. However stents are not its only business and it has near monopoly power in many segments it operates in. Furthermore, JNJ has one of the soundest pipelines in the industry which will be the key for future growth.

I might be wrong but investing requires risk and i have studied the company enough to take this risk.

#15     Sep 23, 2003
  6. I have been asking for a good list for a long time. Unfortunately, we end up mostly with crap on thse boards. If you want a great site, definately look at http://www.valueinvestorsclub.com

I posted DDN there at 2.8 and PTSX at 2.5. I feel odd posting them here though b/c I am not trying to do a pump and dump so I only mention them once they have moved too much so that they are not in an area where I would be a buyer.

I think the VIC guys are more discriminating and not out to go and buy size of a penny cap without a lot of research. If you want to start sharing stuff, I am all for it. But we would need basically a board for every company and then answer there for that company. Otherwise, the board will just become hopelessly garbled if we are talking about 20 stocks at once.

#16     Sep 23, 2003
  7. You may be right, but I would give the stent business no value, or even negative value. I like to take risks too, but when dealing with the government and price regulation, I am scared. They are unpredictable, especially with an election comming up. If they do something outlandish, the pipeline could be worthless as well. That at least is why I prefer to just avoid pharma and health care. I guess that you probably have a better feeling on the risks in our government so then it makes sense to go picking around in that area.

#17     Sep 23, 2003
  8. agree. i prefer to play drugs with leaps because of this. jnj nearing strong support at 49. i will buy some 06 40 leaps when \if it hits 49.

#18     Sep 23, 2003
  9. VZ is down 5.17% from your position.

Wondering where your stop is.

#19     Sep 23, 2003
  10. vz has several problems hurting its stock.
    1.it just signed a very expensive labor contract.
    2.they sell a commodity product that has no pricing power.
    3.mci will come out of bankruptcy without any debt and without any union contracts and no dividend to pay and eat their lunch.

#20     Sep 23, 2003