Value Add of celebrity CEO: Tesla case study

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by pinetboltz, Mar 6, 2019.

1. pinetboltz

pinetboltz

reading all the recent news headlines on Tesla, it just occurred to me the irony of the company being located in LA, ie. Hollywood, showbiz & entertainment capital of the world

on some level, i think all ceos of publicly-traded companies got to be the #1 endorser of their own stock, especially when dealing with all the wall street analysts, short sellers, news media, pension plan investors, activists, etc

but Tesla really takes the cake on this one, barely a week goes by w/o some kind of "sensational" headline that really gets the adrenaline pumping for stock traders

which makes me wonder:
    - what value-add does a celebrity CEO bring to the table?
    - how does the media assign 'celebrity' status among its pick of CEOs?
    - also, how do you think the story will end?

personally, i don't think it's going to be like jeff bezos / amazon 2.0, because at least right now there's nothing indicative of a cash generation machine like amazon web services (aws) was for amazon, where the segment scaled rapidly into big profits.

no skin in the game myself as i don't trade/invest in TSLA, just watching all this unfold as a bystander.

2. what value-add does a celebrity CEO bring to the table? More Exposure
    - how does the media assign 'celebrity' status among its pick of CEOs? The most viewed
    - also, how do you think the story will end? Tesla's only survival play is more debt, there bust... If Elon leaves and gets replaced with someone decent, I believe they will be able to get debt in the junk bonds and extend Tesla past this year, but they are going bankrupt as a company at a 100 % chance in not so distant future

murray t turtle likes this.
  3. %%
    Most likely depends on the celeb.Ted Williams did help Sears sell shotguns, year ago. BUT could any celeb overcome bad customer service, 40 million SEC fine, 222% debt?? NOT likely.While Mr Musk is a climate change clown; he did like to read a lot, as a kid, so he maybe able to stay out of jail, but looks like he will have to resign form TSLA.If he does go to jail or keeps rebelling against SEC+gets fired, TSLA may up tick a bit.

BY the way; fighting with SEC or short sellers on trends seldom pays off or never pays off.:cool::cool:
    NOT long or short TSLA.; but I seldom invest in 222% debt shackled, SEC fighters, bad customer service clowns.

Stockolio likes this.
  4. Musk isn't going to jail, he's heading to SpaceX... Look at his twitter, all pictures changed to SpaceX recently. Jumping ships before it crashes but right thing to do, he opened the door to EV's gotta give him props for making EV's cool.

Wait until the Q1 2019 Earnings come in tho, it's gonna be apocalypse for the share price. Tesla closing all stores, fired quarter of company in recent months, cut prices 3 times in 3 months and now only sells cars by Internet... That sounds like big profits ahead doesn't it ?

murray t turtle likes this.