Validation data for programming Technical Indicators

Discussion in 'Data Sets and Feeds' started by shogunmike, Sep 17, 2007.

1. Hi,

I'm writing a C++ program that has a few technical analysis indicators in (EMA, MACD, ADX, Stochastic K and Stochastic D).

I was wondering if anybody has a set of data that I could use to test that my formulae are generating the correct values, before I utilise them in my application?

Anything would be great, i.e. just some S&P500 data with the corresponding ADX, S:K, S:D, EMA and MACD data over a certain time period. All I need to know are the periods that you've used the indicators for (i.e. 9-day EMA for instance).

Thanks that guys, much appreciated.

Mike.

2. Hey guys,

Does anybody have anywhere I might be able to get this data? I've been looking quite hard. I can usually only just find the formulae, but no actual data to back it up.

Maybe the original academic papers for each respective indicator?

Thanks again,

Mike.

3. i don't have it handy, but send me the security(s) and indicators you want and i can send you something by tomorrow via CSV or TXT, your choice. i am assuming that you want EOD data?

send me a PM...

4. This is exactly what I need...thanks for the link dcraig, and also thanks for the converson offer bootstrap, but I think the TA-Lib will suffice.

Cheers for the replies,

Mike.

5. jmwilk

jmwilk

Hi Mike,

Have you also taken a look at tradery.com... I use it on a daily bases...

http://www.tradery.com

They offer an excellent web trading application specifically for trading system development, back-testing etc... It employs a C/C++ based programming language... Back-testing is done at portfolio rather than individual symbol level, and it efficiently produces meaningful, accurate and realistic results.

Most of all it is FREE...!

Regards,

JMWilk