Utterly Useless Verbiage

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Fluidity, Feb 9, 2003.

1. sorry...

#31     Feb 10, 2003
  2. "Whenever we try to propose a solution to a problem, we might try as hard as we can to overthrow our solution, rather than defend it. Few of us, unfortunately, practice this precept; but other people, fortunately, will supply the criticism for us if we fail to supply it ourselves."

~Karl Popper; The Philosophy of Science~

#32     Feb 10, 2003
  3. "The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life."

- Theodore Roosevelt

#33     Feb 10, 2003
  4. fluidity,

thanks for posting a picture of picasso. a true genius !

surfer

#34     Feb 10, 2003
  5. All four of them were 'masters'... Glad you liked it my man...

I own the original Tommy Edison think different poster and I am thinking I may buy the original italian version of the Hitchcock for the LAB...

PEACE [​IMG]

#35     Feb 10, 2003
  6. To those who do not know mathematics it is difficult to get across a real feeling as to the beauty, the deepest beauty, of nature ... If you want to learn about nature, to appreciate nature, it is necessary to understand the language that she speaks in.
    The Character of Physical Law

#36     Feb 10, 2003

7. that is very cool, my brother from a different mother. i have two original picasso pencil drawings--they are quite unique.

best,

surfer

#37     Feb 10, 2003
  8. nitro

nitro

Actually,

Galileo said essentially the same thing 300 years earlier...

nitro

#38     Feb 10, 2003
  9. This is a more complete version "Now one may ask, "What is mathematics doing in a physics lecture?" We have several possible excuses: first, of course, mathematics is an important tool, but that would only excuse us for giving the formula in two minutes. On the other hand, in theoretical physics we discover that all our laws can be written in mathematical form; and that this has a certain simplicity and beauty about it. So, ultimately, in order to understand nature it may be necessary to have a deeper understanding of mathematical relationships. But the real reason is that the subject is enjoyable, and although we humans cut nature up in different ways, and we have different courses in different departments, such compartmentalization is really artificial, and we should take our intellectual pleasures where we find them." And a new one "But I don't have to know an answer. I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in the mysterious universe without having any purpose, which is the way it really is, as far as I can tell, possibly. It doesn't frighten me."

#39     Feb 10, 2003
  10. Gunga, gunga, galunga, gunga, galunga...

Dali Lama; as tranfered by Karl Spackler

#40     Feb 10, 2003