Utterly Useless Verbiage

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Fluidity, Feb 9, 2003.

1. This is a game of odds and probabilities. The numbers must work themselves out with time, alot of time. The inescapable laws of a probable outcome must be let to lead their own dance - I just focus on mine...

#11     Feb 10, 2003
  2. "The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth..."
    ~Niels Bohr~

#12     Feb 10, 2003
  3. "Slowly, the thinker went on his way and asked himself: What is it that you wanted to learn from teachings and teachers, and although they taught you much, what was it they could not teach you? And he thought: It was the Self, the character and nature of which I wished to learn. I wanted to rid myself of the Self, to conquer it, but I could not conquer it, I could only deceive it, could only fly from it, could only hide from it. Truly, nothing in the world has occupied my thoughts as much as the Self, this riddle, that I live, that I am one and am separated and different from everybody else, that I am Siddhartha; and about nothing in the world do I know less than about myself, about Siddhartha."

~Herman Hesse; Sidhartha~

#13     Feb 10, 2003
  4. "At the core of dualism, according to Zen, are words--just plain words. The use of words is inherently dualistic, since each word represents, quite obviously, a conceptual category. Therefore, a major part of Zen is the fight against reliance on words. To combat the use of words, one of the best devices is the koan, where words are so deeply abused that one's mind is practically left reeling, if one takes the koans seriously. Therefore it is perhaps wrong to say that the enemy is logic; rather, it is dualistic, verbal thinking. In fact, it is even more basic than that: it is perception. As soon as you perceive an object, you draw a line between it and the rest of the world; you divide the world, artificially, into parts, and you thereby miss the Way. "

~Douglas Hofstadter; Godel, Escher & Bach~

#14     Feb 10, 2003
  5. For some, the weight of struggle is even more seductive than the lightness of flow -- for the flow, for most, is a leap into the dark...

Seykota may just be right, in that we all get what we want...

#15     Feb 10, 2003
  6. "He always thought of the sea as la mar which is what people call her in spanish when they love her. Sometimes those who love her say bad things of her but they are always said as though she were a woman. Some of the younger fisherman, those who used buoys as floats for their lines and had motorboats, bought when the shark livers had brought much money, spoke of her as el mar which is masculine. They spoke of her as a contestant or a place or even an enemy. But the old man always thought of her as feminine and as something that gave or withheld great favors, and if she did wild or wicked things it was because she could not help them. The moon affects her as it does a woman."

~Ernest Hemingway; The Old Man and the Sea~

#16     Feb 10, 2003
  7. "You can make mistakes, but you aren't a failure until you start blaming others for those mistakes."

- John Wooden

#17     Feb 10, 2003
  8. nitro

nitro

Just do it.

NIKE

#18     Feb 10, 2003
  9. The secret of getting ahead is getting started. The secret of getting started is breaking your complex, overwhelming tasks into small manageable tasks, and then starting on the first one."

- Mark Twain

#19     Feb 10, 2003
  10. Wouldn't expect otherwise, Fluidity. :p

FRuiTY

#20     Feb 10, 2003