utah miners running out of time........

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by acronym, Aug 14, 2007.

1. My heart goes out to those men and their families.

What a horrible way to die, either crushed or slowly suffocated.

2. Can't argue with that.

Has me baffled though, the guy running the joint (prays be to god, halle-freakin lulia-a**hole) says seismic activity, the safety board guy says the collapse WAS the seismic activity, curiously, both could be right....

As it happens, i think some of them are still kicking, its quite possible.

And just in case anyone wants to bag the rescue efort, let me tell you, its no simple trick to drill that far, accurately, its an engineers worst nightmare.

Anyway, there it is.

3. Memo shows mine already had roof problems in March

Repeated calls to UtahAmerican Energy Inc., the mine operators, seeking information on the roof issues were not returned. Robert Murray, part owner of the mine, said he was not aware of any prior roof concerns. "It's the first time I've heard of this," Murray said of the March incident.

--------------

Typical American Capitalism. Don't spend the extra buck or take the time to ensure safety for your workers, just keep doing what your doing to keep the profit train rolling along. If anything pops up, act surprised.

4. hcour

hcour Guest

On the news it was reported that at the rate they're going now it will take 2 to 3 more weeks to get to the miners. So unless they find them w/that 3rd hole they're drilling and are able to drop them some food and water, it's not looking good.

H

5. Weeks? Are they drilling in ironstone?

Ok, i still beleive some are still kicking, i guess well see.
    At any rate, they were miners, and knew the risks.

If you have ever been down one of these death holes, you know what i mean-even 90 feet underground freaks most people out, with a good roof.
    Coal? Screw that.

6. hcour

hcour Guest

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...,0,6533437.story?coll=chi-leisuremagazine-hed

2 Rescue Workers Killed at Utah Mine

By PAUL FOY | Associated Press Writer
    12:00 AM CDT, August 17, 2007

HUNTINGTON, Utah - A disastrous cave-in Thursday night killed two rescue workers and injured at least seven others who were trying to tunnel through rubble to reach six trapped miners, authorities said. Mining officials were considering whether to suspend the rescue effort.

It was a shocking setback on the 11th day of the effort to find miners who have been confined at least 1,500 feet below ground at the Crandall Canyon mine. It's unknown if the six are alive or dead.

This whole thing is looking worse and worse. One assumes the industry will take a long hard look at so-called "retreat mining".

H

7. What the hell? This is very sad.

8. Coal mining itself is sad enough, a century ago a rescue like this wouldn't have even been started.

The "retreat mining" process, seems dubious enough, it should come as no surprise, the guy running the show says its fine.
    Especially, given he's a former face worker, and currently a corporate stooge.

Yeah, people are killed in a daring rescue attempt............shit.
    How unstable, is this thing, really?

Dont forget, these are the guys that make many of your light switches and appliances work, sure, they're payed well these days, but..........

9. There screwed, i was holding out some hope there, based on my limited, but reasonable knowledge of mining procedures, but..........

There gone, its too late.

#10     Aug 21, 2007