USVI - St John & St Thomas

Discussion in 'Hook Up' started by fishindamarket, Feb 14, 2021.

1. prophet

prophet

Did you encounter any traders or hedge fund managers on St. John or St. Thomas?

I'm curious whether the USVI's hedge fund industry is growing or contracting.

I used to live on St. Croix and operated a labor-intensive property management business there. It was only profitable when I was able to hire and retain good employees and contractors. The climate, clean air and water did a lot to compensate for the business challenges in my opinion but it also made it harder to retain talent. High-net worth homeowners created a constant demand for live-in property managers which kept my labor costs high in order to retain my best workers.

I wish I had been running a trading based business there.

#11     Jun 5, 2022
  2. @prophet i haven't encountered any in any of the USVI yet.
    I visited St John and St Thomas and found quickly St Thomas wasn't one i was interested in. I liked St John but the internet speeds weren't the quickest in any houses i checked out. Between 10-13mbps down / 8-10 mbps up. Which could still work but i would prefer much quicker.

St Croix is next on my list to check out. How long ago did you live and work there? I'm guessing speeds there might be a bit better than St John. Any tips on St Croix as far as your favorite areas to stay in and check out? Favorite beach bars?

#12     Jun 5, 2022
  3. prophet

prophet

I lived on St. Croix in the 1980s, then visited once every 1 or 2 years since then and l still own a house there. I visited St. Thomas and St. John a couple times in the 1980s and I liked the ruggedness of St. Thomas and the natural beauty and hiking trails of St. John.

The best way to enjoy the VI in my opinion is staying on a boat anchored in a different bay each night, say during a multi-day charter, ideally in St. John, St. Thomas, the BVI and surrounding uninhabited islands. Those were some of the best times of my childhood, meeting other people in nearby boats, cooking and eating on the beach and simply enjoying the amazing air, water and skies so dark and full of stars its like being on a different planet.

On St. Croix I've enjoyed taking day charters to Buck Island, kayaking to Buck island, kayaking the Salt River bay at night and seeing the bioluminescent plankton ( https://www.bushtribe.com/adventures/bioluminescent-kayak-trip/ ), snorkeling coral reefs, hiking to Issac bay, hiking to Annaly bay and dinner at Hotel on the Cay or various local restaurants that tourists don't know about. I've never really done the typical tourist stuff like Jeep tours or whatever the resorts organize. If I didn't have a house there I'd probably prefer to stay in an Airbnb to experience some variety. Best beach bars are Rhythms at Rainbow Beach and Chenay Bay Beach Resort. I think there might be a beach bar at Cane bay. I also recommend the various bars and restaurants on the Christiansted boardwalk. When visiting Christiansted at night its best to go as a group for safety.

#13     Jun 5, 2022
  4. Appreciate the info and I can't wait to visit! On a boat touring the BVI's and St John would be a dream trip for me.
    At your house in St. Croix what is the wifi speed you're able to get? Do you trade when you visit?

#14     Jun 6, 2022
  5. lindq

lindq

Sailing the islands is paradise. Living on them is not, unless you can afford to throw a few million into a private retreat on St. John with a view like this.

[​IMG]

#15     Jun 6, 2022
  6. @lindq which island did you live on?

#16     Jun 6, 2022
  7. prophet

prophet

St. John wins in terms of natural beauty. I'd personally go with a small inexpensive house on St. John with less of a view and put the money I saved into a nice boat or even just co-own or borrow a boat. Key to enjoying the USVI is having the right source of income and a good network of friends. The house and view might be secondary to all that. My parents operated an overly labor-intensive but profitable construction and property-management business on St. Croix which wore them out and shortened their lives.

My brother and I own the family house on St. Croix on a 2 acre highly secluded property with the view shown below. On St. Croix one can find 2 bedroom homes or cottages with similar views and seclusion that rent to long-term tenants for $1000 - $1500 / month which can provide a decent amount of "paradise".

DSC04161.JPG

Last edited: Jun 6, 2022
    #17     Jun 6, 2022
  8. lindq

lindq

I lived on the water for a year, and have close relatives who own a major business on St. Croix. I know those islands well. I would never advise anyone moving there unless they have an escape plan for moving back to the mainland. "Try it before you buy it" is the way to go.

#18     Jun 6, 2022
    prophet likes this.
  9. prophet

prophet

I used to give the exact same advice. It is hard to operate a business there. The "brain drain" of workers leaving the VI is a constant drain on the economy and increases cost of living. Crime is a problem. I've lost three friends on St. Croix - 2 were murdered (one political, one drug related) and one drank himself into liver failure when he lost his job due to covid. All 3 had a lifestyle or made choices I would not have made that appeared to contribute to their deaths.

But I also know many who are living longer, healthier and happier there who credit St. Croix with saving their lives, curing their allergies and asthma, helping them lose weight, become more active, find the best friends they've ever had and help them feel 20 years younger. The clean air, water, breezes and climate has done similar things for me. And I when I visit I feel a warmth from the people (and not just from my childhood classmates) that I have never felt on the mainland. Every time I visit I wish I could stay much longer.

So if you have a decent source of income, the right lifestyle and group of friends St. Croix can transform your life, improve your health and happiness and probably extend your life expectancy. But for certain lifestyles and lack of the right friends around you may end up miserable and perhaps a victim of the crime.

#19     Jun 6, 2022
    lindq likes this.