USPS what is the point?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by r-in, Apr 20, 2012.

1. the question remains, "How does it help me if mailmen, teachers, fire fighters are paid less?"

I like it when people get paid a lot of money. Doesn't matter to me if they are a government worker or a hedge fund manager.

What I don't like is paying taxes.

Once you get that money from me, do whatever you like with it, make everybody rich, just don't come back asking for more.

#51     Nov 16, 2012
  2. You have two choices in this world when it comes to making a living. You can choose a job and accept the pay of that job, or you can choose a specific amount of money and then do the job that pays that much. Obviously the more money you want, the more skills you will have to learn, but it really is that simple.

#52     Nov 17, 2012
  3. Bob111

Bob111

--- Obviously the more money you want, the more skills you will have to learn, -----

you right,but for some reason i feel that i'm living in upside-down world ..

#53     Nov 17, 2012
  4. Fuck Off !! how much overhead does a stupid fucking coder have to carry.

#54     Nov 17, 2012
  5. Why does the post office even bother posting a P/L. Why the charade that it is a "business"? Its not.

Its just part of the gubment and funded by taxpayers no different than the dept of education or the military or whatever the frig else.

Its a US budget item.

#55     Nov 17, 2012
  6. Bob111

Bob111

heh...how much is carpenter have to carry? all tools from harbor freight to install the f **
    floor cost me 250$..and i sold them on craiglist after that..what an argument..the only group out working class that having big overhead are auto mechanics..good snap on tool box can cost 50k + easily..not to mention scanners,PC and soft to be able repair current cars..but roofers,HVAC,plumbers,carpenters? common..
    coder..easy job, heh?

coder - a person who designs and writes and tests computer programs

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/coder

i really like to see a plumber doing that..design,test etc..dealing with databases,procedures,functions,dll's and s**t.
    you must be confusing it with coder,who does medical billing :p :p :p

you missing the point here pal..it's not about overhead..it's about professional,intelligent, jobs that require certain mindset and creativity + lot of knowledge and education vs low/basic skill jobs.jobs that cave man can do it... not programmers vs plumbers in particular..

#56     Nov 17, 2012
  7. Let USPS dissolve no need for them, prices will go up and true cost to get letter will be observed with volume reduction

#57     Nov 17, 2012
  8. zdreg

zdreg

#58     Nov 18, 2012
  9. Lucrum

Lucrum

Pretty much. I can think of several other government agencies that also excel at that.

#59     Nov 18, 2012
  10. Bob111

Bob111

i agree,that's how the market works.but gvt and their employees disagree.they are not willing to accept the reality.. i said it before-gvt job looks like one way ticket,where wages only go up,no matter what. think about it..programmer\private sector employee-year 2000-50K
    teacher-50K.
    2010-programer-45-48K,teacher-70-75K.
    year 2020(assuming inflation is same)-programer-50K,teacher-100K
    after retirement picture would be even worse.
    is this sustainable model? i'm not asking you,i'm asking folks in DC and dems,who vote for obama.it's a greece x1000

#60     Nov 18, 2012