USPS what is the point?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by r-in, Apr 20, 2012.

1. don't we have a lot bigger problems than worryng about The United States Post Office? Why not worry about poor people who don't pay income taxes, or money we give to Egypt.?

#31     Nov 15, 2012
  2. You think 57000 on average across the USPS is a lot of money? Seriously?
    It's a decent salary for a working class person. That's it.
    The USPS gets no tax money at all, unlike, say, the Defense Department. So your typical right wing claptrap about servants being paid more than masters is uninformed crap. Tell me, how is it that an agency mentioned in the Constitution is not deserving of a dime in taxpayer money? How does that happen and how do you justify it?
    I say give them some tax money to get the pension in shape. It's the only real problem they have, and it can be solved for an amount that barely would be a footnote on the US Treasury's balance sheet. I mean a 5.5 billion payout to their pension had everyone up in arms. Really? That's not even 10 percent of the TARP. I mean, come on.

#32     Nov 15, 2012
  3. true, but that is how we got here. What's wrong with saying, "Cut a million, that's hardly a drop in the bucket."?

#33     Nov 15, 2012
  4. Bob111

Bob111

---You think 57000 on average across the USPS is a lot of money? Seriously?
    It's a decent salary for a working class person. That's it.---

yep..cause they both overpriced. USPS and working class. jobs like roofers,carpenters HVAC blood suckers etc.
    why do i think this way-simple. i've done some renovation while ago in my house. 1000sq of hardwood floors. estimate for a job-2-3K cash only.
    for a professional-it's 1-2 day job. i've never done this in my life. i got no tools,no experience whatsoever. done the job in a week
    now..my question to you-can this guy,who gives me an estimate for 3K-can he program and create s**t like i do? the answer is NO. not after a month,not after year or more. but i on other hand can do his job without any experience,just by reading and following instruction on f** hardwood. why he should be making more than me?
    why mail man should me making more than programmer,receiving pension,free healthcare and GUARANTEED retirement benefits? probably some early retirement too..

http://www1.salary.com/Programmer-I-Salary.html

can mail man do programming,if he have to do it tomorrow? can programmer do mail delivery,if he have to do it tomorrow? and those numbers on link above is wayyyy too generous for level 1..

#34     Nov 15, 2012
  5. How we got here has a lot more to do with having a perpetual standing army. Getting back to the Constitution, look up what it says about appropriations for an army. It'll surprise you.

#35     Nov 15, 2012
  6. maxpi

maxpi

All these unionized public sector workers have all these massive benefits promised to them. I wonder what will happen when the inflation gets going? Will they keep insisting that we should starve all the old people on fixed incomes so they can have their sex change operations and whatnot?

#36     Nov 15, 2012
  7. Why is the military always excluded from arguments about government waste? I live in the DC area. Trust me, there are many military and civilian Pentagon workers making $150k a year plus benefits plus a $50k pension from previous military service. Look, nobody respects those who serve more than me, but I'm sorry, a public employee really shouldn't be making more than $100k or so including pension. Not to mention all the other perks they get and think they are entititled to. Our defense department receives more funding than all other countries military's in the world combined. Why Romney (who I still voted for because he would still be better than Obama)wants to incease military spending when we have $16 trillion dollars in debt and general peace in the world is beyond me. The USPS serves a function that benefits society on a daily basis. Why would you complain that they lost a little money while meanwhile excluding the military from any crtitsizm? People use punchlines like Solyndra to tear down progress like green energy while wanting to increase spending on the military to serve what purpose?

#37     Nov 15, 2012
  8. yes, but what I'm saying about cutting is, it doesn't really matter what program you are talking about, it's only a small part of the budget.

So what we all say is, "Don't cut that, it won't help that much."

What if we just started cutting small amounts everyday, just the way we got here?

A 100 million from foreign aid

3 million from the Department of Energy

Laugh if you want when we are 16 trillion in debt and 200 trillion unfunded

Not sure Harvard has this deal figured out

Maybe they should just let me start cutting. It wouldn't be that severe. A million here, a hundred million there.

Or do you just want to go that Modern Monetary Theory route?

I can get you out of this mess, and it won't cost you a dollar. As a matter of fact, when it's all said and done, a dollar will still buy you something.

#38     Nov 15, 2012
  9. love my mailman, great guy. takes the occational package from my door and gives me the bill the next day. leave him a note for some supplies and they're there the next day. with 70 ft. oaks down all over the day afer Sandy i thought i was hallucinating when charlie the usps man pulled up. i said your crazy, he said, just for you. sadly he's retiring in 6 months, does'nt look a day over 50, to Hawaii.

btw- usps=great -ups=great -fedex=suck

#39     Nov 15, 2012
  10. My parents both worked at USPS their whole lives .

Surprised either one of them didn't go postal with all the stories about how poorly run that place was. I suppose it variess by location a bit but still . Supervisers were basically paid to babysit and say " no talking while sorting mail" then they would go bullsh*t in the coffee room for a half hour while the worker bees did their thing.

They are the reason that I made up my mind early in life that I didn't EVER want to work for the gov't .

Same thing with the DMV .How those clerks don't go crazy, I don't know.

I agree with Oldtime, Capital One is keeping USPS in business ... I get something every other day from those fools lol

#40     Nov 15, 2012