USPS what is the point?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by r-in, Apr 20, 2012.

1. #21     Apr 21, 2012
  2. welfare fraud? You guys crack me up. Why don't you just vote for Obama? He wants everything to be fair no matter how much it costs.

A lady was getting $200 a month in foodstamps. She won a lottery for 100 grand. Paid who knows how much in taxes. At least 28K. And they nailed her for not cancelling her food stamps which would have run out any way the next time she applied (if she still had any money left.)

And this is the cause for all the worry in USA? Welfare fraud? Is that it? It's the poor that are causing all our economic woes?

15 trillion in debt, and it's all because the poor are soaking us. It's probably the poor that want us to fight a war in Afghanistan. And you know they can't do without their social security and medicare.

If they were paying their fair share we would only be $14.99999999 trillion in debt.

Every little bit helps, and we have to start somewhere. So why not first crack down on the poor?

It really pisses you off doesn't it that they are not paying their fair share.

ok, now all you cranky right wingers can bitch about how hard you work and how much you pay in taxes to give the poor a free ride

#22     Apr 21, 2012
  3. "The most visible role of the Census Bureau is to perform the official decennial (every 10 years) count of people living in the U.S. The most important result is the reallocation of the number of seats each state is allowed in the House of Representatives,[1] but the results also affect a range of government programs received by each state. The agency director is a political appointee selected by the President of the United States."

do you see any productive work here?

#23     Apr 21, 2012
  4. r-in

r-in

oldtime, sorry to get soo many fired up for my rant. I'll tell you I have made 2 more calls and they didn't get back to me in the time they said someone should get back to me. They also couldn't come up with an answer as to where my package was, or if it is lost. I'll admit my situation is one in who the heck knows how many they handle, but it isn't the first time it has happened to me. I also have a delivery guy who can't drive up the driveway and put a package on my step. We have a small driveway and it is a horseshoe, so he could come out the other end to the next mailboxes. He leaves it balanced on the paperbox, which twice now have fallen into my ditch with water. One package had enough tape on it it to protect it from a nuclear attack, but the other was soaked all the way through. I called and complained. Well, oddly enough the next week I didn't get any mail for 2 days. I have never had a day where I didn't get at least junk. Made me wonder, but I'm just paranoid I guess. To top it off I gave this guy a ton of firewood when I had a tree cut down(a very tall tree). I even cut it down to smaller pieces for him and helped him load it on his trailer. I wasn't expecting anything for it and was glad to get rid of it, but you might think you would at least get average service after helping someone. Nope.
    I am not saying there is not a place for the USPS, I agree there is a reason. I think they should charge more, but only if it means better service and benefit packages in line with the industry. I will say a buddy who had a job as a mail carrier quit after 8 years. He had the supervisor following him around documenting everything he did. Why, well most likely because he complained about others who in his mind were lazy shits. He works harder now, but gets paid more, and is in management in FedEx.
    I worked for an airline for awhile and we moved alot of mail and brought it to the post office from the aircrafts. God forbid you got there at break time. We actually got in physical fights with other airlines dumping mail because we all needed to get it off and get back for the next flights, but were stuck with a belt stalled because the post office was on break.
    I'm not sorry I was brought up different. You do the work, and work your ass off. There will be time to relax, but you are there to work, and that ethic was not apparent then, and not apparent in the situation I am dealing with.
    I agree I don't want to pay $100 when I could pay $20, but the point may be that there should be more accountability, and maybe it should come at a higher price. I don't know you, but why should I subsidize you sending a package across the world, you should pay the cost. The people in rural America, or inner city who may not have a computer to pay bills, yea I pay to help that, but to help you save $80, no! I am all for charging more for junk mail, and to those who are using services above the basic mailing of a bill.

#24     Apr 21, 2012
  5. hey r-in, I'm not so sure you subsidized me. UPS only knows how to do it one way, and that is, put it on an airplane and deliver it as quickly as possible. For $20 the USPS moves it from Post Office to Post Office and eventually puts it on a a boat, and it gets there when it gets there.

We are talking about a small amount of money to insure that people who live outside of UPS and Fedex profitable zones (or can't afford their rates) are still served.

The days of dial up internet service are over, and there are still many parts of this country where highspeed costs a lot or is not available. So,the proverbial little old lady needs a way to send in her electric bill each month without calling Fedex for special pickup at $15 (or more) a pop.

What's next? Are we going to then start closing all libraries? These are just old fashioned things that give us some continuity and tradition.

The unions screwed it up and turned it from a simple service into an economic outrage for the common taxpayer.

#25     Apr 21, 2012
  6. Bob111

Bob111

#26     Nov 15, 2012
  7. timcar

timcar

USPS is quite a bit more importand than UPS how else would I get my cable bill ??????

#27     Nov 15, 2012
  8. Bob111

Bob111

this exactly why they struggle..cause people now can go go paperless
    there probably 100's of applications for that

#28     Nov 15, 2012
  9. The Post Office is in the Constitution. It unites the nation. There is no replacing it. Neither UPS nor FEDEX nor anyone else would do what they do.
    There was a time, actually only maybe thirty years ago, when this kind of thing was obvious. People weren't so intent on being unorthodox and trying to show how much smarter they were than anyone else by coming up with stupid ideas and thinking they were being smart or cutting edge or some such crap.
    The Post Office is in the Constitution because it's a basic thing. The Constitution runs only a few pages, and only mentions a few things, those things that were thought at the time to be absolutely vital to the running of a country.
    If you think the Post Office is no longer vital to the running of this country, try passing an amendment that strips it from the Constitution. I think you'll have a very hard time getting it passed.

#29     Nov 15, 2012
  10. Bob111

Bob111

i'm not saying that we don't need USPS..but a bit reorganization and cuts here and there would be nice. just to be "in sync" with us,the public...like i said many times before-i have problem understanding,why public servants are making more than "masters",us,the tax payers..

http://www.savethepostoffice.com/it-was-very-good-year-salaries-usps-executives

75K a year..
    those are some nice salaries. dunno about benefits,retirement age etc..compared to average HOUSEHOLD INCOME in US(which is <50K)
    add working spouse and you are far above current "middle class". not bad for a public employee

#30     Nov 15, 2012