USPS on the brink of collapse unless Congress intervenes

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Grandluxe, Sep 5, 2011.

1. Pekelo

Pekelo

Just a few facts:

-The Postal Service is a government service, it doesn't need to be profitable. Just like Homeland security, for example.

- Junk mail is actually what has been keeping it more profitable. Without junk mail the losses were much bigger.

-Most residencies don't need daily delivery anymore. Lots of small towns don't need a post office either...

But if we want it the way we got use to it, we could cut the military spending in half, and that would allow mail delivery 3 times a day....

#31     Sep 5, 2011
  2. Fuck the post office. Let it close up shop.

FedEx -- Federal Express - Can take its place.

#32     Sep 5, 2011
  3. bone

bone

This is clearly Bush's fault.

#33     Sep 5, 2011
  4. I don't care who's fault it is along as it goes bankrupt.

#34     Sep 5, 2011
  5. Let all those lazy ass overpaid people get another job and shut her down! I had a freind who retired from the post office, he told me putting envelopes in a box was physical labor and they deserved the $28.00 @ hour plus all the great benefits :eek: LOL

#35     Sep 5, 2011
  6. jd7419

jd7419

Most of these workers retire on disability, they wait a couple years and magically start doing a manual labor job off the books. Great gig, I know many disabled railroad workers, just golfed with one last week who drove the ball 300 yards.

#36     Sep 5, 2011
  7. USPS is the only thing keeping their prices competitive. Get rid of their flat rate boxes and $0.44 mail. Fedex and ups will quickly up the ante to $20.

#37     Sep 5, 2011
  8. So?

#38     Sep 5, 2011
  9. Use that business and social sciences major to figure it out.

#39     Sep 5, 2011
  10. Pekelo

Pekelo

According to a 1992 EU study, most European public postal services produced significant losses.

http://www.prc.gov/PRC-DOCS/library/USO Appendices/Appendix E.PDF

So why would the USPS be different? Again, it is a government service, not a for profit organization. If you don't expect other government organizations to be profitable, why such a high standard for the Postal Service??? After all it takes a letter from NYC to LA for less than half a buck...

The link above explains how other countries reorganized their mail services to make them more effective and less expensive....

#40     Sep 5, 2011