Using Your Portfolio Value As An Indicator...

Discussion in 'Trading' started by stonedinvestor, Mar 28, 2007.

1. One trick I employ is using my overall portfolio value as a gauge in the market as a whole as well as to how I am trading.

In the long bad 05 period my account fluctuated between $80 and $100K with the market correcting each time almost exactly at $100K. It was more than coincidence my beta matched up with the overall up and down's of the market & I managed to create my own sell signal.

What did I do? I set up a system where at $100K I took $20,000 out and spent it! By pruning I raised funds at market tops.

This was during the period when we always seemed to be going back to DOW 10,000. Then we had our recent run and the account and the markets broke free.... the rest as they say is stoney history.

Now a correction and I lost a lot. But I stay fully invested and rotate and buy my way through corrections- that's why brokers love me! I call when no one else does!-- and now I have another indicator-- my account is within One Thousand Dollars of Being back to where it was before the dive-- not bad when you consider the DOW is 400 pts away!

This folks I HATE TO SAY IT-- is a SELL indicator now and I have to have a long deep discussion with my soul. But I just thought I should let you know when things get overbought and the stoney overbought oversold indicator is flashing a warning sign.

peace.

2. hels02

hels02

Stoney, it depends on what you are in.

Most of my stocks are up today, and only a few are down. Overall tho, I have to agree with you about the market.

It remains to be seen if it will keep sliding... I don't think it will, but I'm not certain. I'd buy, but nothing I want right now is a bargain yet, I hope it slides more:).

3. hels ALL my stocks are breaking out that's the point.

FedSpeak101: FED'S BERNANKE SAYS UNCERTAINTIES AROUND US ECONOMIC OUTLOOK HAVE INCREASED SOMEWHAT IN RECENT WEEKS. FUTURE FED POLICY DECISIONS WILL DEPEND ON EVOLUTION OF OUTLOOK FOR BOTH INFLATION, GROWTH. CORE INFLATION ABOVE LEVELS MOST CONDUCIVE TO SUSTAINABLE GROWTH, PRICE STABILITY...

If there is one thing a market does not like it's
    uncertainties. Quite frankly I'm wondering about a Spring retest of lows.

~ stoney

4. Paulson To The Rescue Thanks hank!

treasury's PAULSON SAYS SEES SIGNS U.S. HOUSING MARKET "AT OR NEAR THE BOTTOM" -SAYS LOOKS LIKE "HOUSING ISSUE IS GOING TO BE CONTAINED"
    10:40:41 Comment

POST BEN PLUNGE protect successful.

RESUME RALLY PLEASE>>>

THIS HAS BEEN A TEST!

FORGET MY MOMENT OF WEAKNESS Hels back to the party! ...

speaking of party. Yesterday which I believe was tuesday I was seen at astor wines and spirits at 3:00pm buying 5 bottles and grandly saying to everyone Have A Nice Weekend! You can see where my
    head's at...:cool: