Using volume to predict direction

Discussion in 'Trading' started by 1a2b3cppp, Apr 7, 2013.

1. Thanks Nodoji. I guess I will take my declining volume triangle breakout quasi theories and head over to the market charlatan thread where I belong.

#31     Apr 7, 2013
  2. lcranston

lcranston

#32     Apr 7, 2013
  3. lcranston

lcranston

I wouldn't call them quasi. Sometimes price moves in the expected direction and sometimes it doesn't. What matters more is being prepared to SAR immediately if price doesn't do what's expected.

#33     Apr 7, 2013
  4. lcranston = nodoji?

#34     Apr 7, 2013
    #35     Apr 7, 2013
  6. Handle123

Handle123

Only Volume method I have ever designed that worked better than 50/50 was for ES based on lighter volume at highs and accumulation of volume at lows, I would wait for failed moves back toward the extremes and take counter-trend trades, I often got the 4-8 tics and 1-3 times a week nail a 8-10pt runner.

When the volume was not as expected, unless trendlines were near price on hourly charts, I would not take the signals.

#36     Apr 7, 2013
  7. lcranston

lcranston

Sorry. If you bring up any 1m or 5m chart of the NQ for last Friday, you'll see what I'm referring to. If you'd rather use indicators, it's not important.

#37     Apr 7, 2013
  8. danielc1

danielc1

I only use Cumulative Delta volume bars:

On your chart you can see the following:
    From 9.09 to 11.20, price is moving with CDBV.
    From 11.20 to 14.24, price is still in an uptrend, while CDBV is more going sideway's. This is a sign that 'they' are 'acummulating'.
    From 14.24 you see a sudden move up in price with CDBV also going up. You can see this more clear in real time then after the fact on a chart, because you see the bars move and the volatility of the bar movement in congestion with CDBV tells you what is going to happen in the next couple of minutes. If you just sit in front a screen watching the development, you will get a feel for it.
    No 'hard' rules, just relationship between price and CDBV.

#38     Apr 8, 2013