Using Visual Studio 2010 for .NET programming

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by RedEyeFly, Jan 22, 2011.

1. Hi All,

I've been coding for NinjaTrader in C# on the NinjaTrader platform as well as some other platforms for trading which use C#. What I want to do is be able to transfer my coding platform over to Visual Studio 2010 in order to take advantage of some of their functionality including their debugging tools which I'm much more familiar with. How would one go about transfering the API and class and methods from NT into Visual Studio in order to sucessfully 'run' the software in VS?

Thanks!
    Red

2. isaacmt

isaacmt

I'm sorry this reply doesn't answer your question but I'm lost. I need to learn how to program because I have a formula that I would like to implement and have my computer alert me when the parameters merit initiating a position. My problem is, is don't know the first thing about programming. I use Strategy Desk from Ameritrade as my platform (which I am pleased with) and I do all my work by hand. I can not keep up this way and I am severely limited in the markets I can cover. Do you know where I can start to learn how to program. I don't know anything, I mean nothing.

3. Take a look in
    C:\Users\XXX\Documents\NinjaTrader 7\bin\Custom\Strategy
    and reference in
    C:\Program Files (x86)\NinjaTrader 7\bin or bin64.
    It looks like everything is there.

4. There are programmers who help people to program trading systems. I do such work on the side. Professional programmers get a pretty good pay rate for their training and specialized knowledge, and most could certainly set things up and teach you how to continue the development on your own.

If you are really just looking for instruction on programming in general, then may I suggest looking at your local colleges and universities. There should be some adult education courses which would be your cheapest option. There are usually many students and graduate students looking for work who could both teach you and help you get started. They work for less than a professional, but you need to teach them the trading part and deal with other maturity related issues. (Have discussed pros and cons on a different thread.) One could simply borrow a programming book from the library, but I am assuming you want more help. Depending upon the size of your account, I could probably find you a broker willing to eat the cost of a little instruction to get you started if they got you to trade with them.

There is plenty of help out there.

5. Thank you for the reference Steven. I'll try to put it together this afternoon.