Using two computers at once.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by oso, Nov 2, 2007.

1. GaryN

GaryN

You can use TWS with one account on two different computers using two different login ids. I do it. Execution on one computer and charting on another.

#11     Nov 2, 2007
  2. Yes you can have multiple computers using one IB account.

You run TWS on ONE computer.

On the other computers you can run applications that use TWS but you put in the IP address of the computer that runs TWS as well as the Port number (so maybe you put 192.168.1.5:7496 instead of just 7496).

If its part of a backup strategy then if you lost the core you'd have to either change the IP address of backup to match core or quickly change the addresses for any apps that used TWS non-resident.

In your scenario you'd run (say) TWS, Sierra Chart and ZeroLine Trader on one computer and a second copy of Sierra Chart on the other computer (SC supports users who want to run a small number of multiple instances at no extra cost). TWS can support 8 api connections.

#12     Nov 2, 2007
  3. Surdo

Surdo

Thanks, that's what they told me, I am fairly sure they are not entitled to the Exchange fees more than once/entity.

I won this arguement with CYBERTRADER a few years ago over exchange fees.

later,

surdo

#13     Nov 2, 2007
  4. Tums

Tums

on the 2nd computer, if all you needed is the data feed, then you can do the following:

1. open an IB papertrading account (not a demo account). It has the same datafeed as the regular account. It is free to account holders.

2. many charting software allow you to obtain data from TWS located in a different computer (e.g. MultiCharts ). The only requirement is for both computers attached to the same local area network.

#14     Nov 2, 2007
  5. akeyla

akeyla

Withi Cybertrader you can use the same logon ID on two diffferent machines and also trade from both or alternatively trade on one and use the other for whatever purpose. The only thing you need to do is to sign an agreement form prior to doing so. One of this firm's many advantages. Too bad it it integrating or disintegrating shall we say in the process of morphing into Schwab.

#15     Nov 19, 2007