Using the $TICK for confirmation

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by pitbulltrader, Apr 13, 2006.

1. merely fading tick extremes will not be profitable on a longterm basis

that's because you have to take market internals into account

iow, on horizontal development days, fading tick extremes is an EXCELLENT strategy, but on vertical development days - not so much so. you will get your head ripped off. it would be what floor traders refer to as stepping in front of a freight train to try to pick up pennies off the track :)

as another example, fading a tick extreme is good. fading a tick extreme that was generated by buy programs - bad. gotta know when the buy/sell programs are gonna fire.

but tick, when taken in conjunction with price/volume action is has some great utility.

#41     Apr 29, 2006
  2. Ok Whistler so how do we know when the buy/sell programs are going to fire ahead of time? I mean we can use the Tiki's at plus or minus 26, 28 or 30 whatever or buy and sell programs using the premium but that is after the fact..How do we know ahead of time..?

Thanks

#42     Apr 29, 2006
  3. Just fading every TICK extreme CAN be a good idea in a relative flat market with low volume and premium in the neutral, and more in the calm times of day, I guess......
    So what about just fading TICK extremes in the direction of premium(if relevant), daily trend and direction of longer MA`s of TICK?

here we come to premium...anybody using premium in his/her trading?

I know there are some sites you get the daily levels for buy/sell programms and at least one offers additional the most likely times they will fire, but ~1350 $ a quarter is a bit much....

#43     Apr 30, 2006
  4. I've found that the cash curiously moves before the futures just before a program is about to fire.

#44     Apr 30, 2006
  5. VSTscalper

VSTscalper

originalskunk,

When I first started trading Futures....I used the Cash Index....which was delayed....but gave an excellent signal....and much smoother than the Futures charts. I did get real time Futures data....but....to this day....you could still use the Cash Index for trading Futures. I had it on a One or Two Tick chart....can't quite remember....with a Parabolic Sar....very simple....and so smooth.

VSTscalper

#45     Apr 30, 2006
  6. gkadir

gkadir

Originalskunk, Are you sure dude, I thought the futures moved first and then the cash index followed. Am I missing something here?

Thx

#46     Sep 5, 2006
  7. Like this?

#47     Sep 6, 2006
  8. james16

james16

Does anyone know how I can get alert sounds for my tradestation YM $TICK chart?
    I would like a alert for +800, +1000, -800, and -1000 Any advice on using the $TICK chart on the YM would be greatly appriciated.

#48     Apr 2, 2007