Using the SMA and EMA together

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by TrendSpider_Jake, Nov 2, 2018.

1. %%
    OK;
    + back to the 200 day moving average.:cool::cool:

#11     Nov 6, 2018
  2. d08

d08

I still don't understand how this is different or new.
    This stuff has been repeated over and over again ad nauseam in almost every trading/TA book from the 80s and 90s. I remember always coming across it and in backtests it was completely and totally worthless. I could always find a chart where it looked good in hindsight, that's it, nothing else - it does not work in forward testing, it's of no value.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
    #12     Nov 6, 2018
  3. I see the benefit of using the same number for the SMA and the EMA to at certain times see how trend is changing and to stay on the right side of the current trend for a trade setup.

#13     Nov 6, 2018
  4. d08

d08

Why not just use a longer period SMA/EMA and a slightly short period SMA/EMA. It does effectively the same thing.

#14     Nov 7, 2018
    tommcginnis and tomorton like this.
  5. I also have longer period EMA's. I never used SMA before reading this thread. The benefit of the SMA is allowing in real time to see a trend change. Obviously, you can't do this on stocks but on futures you could see a trade setup or a confirmation.

#15     Nov 7, 2018
  6. panzerman

panzerman

Try using two different EMAs with different alphas of the form:

y[0] = alpha*(x[0]+0.5*(x[0]-y[-1]))+(1-alpha)*y[-1]

Not that I think it will ultimately result a profitable trading system for you, but if you insist on using MAs, at least use ones that have minimized lag.

#16     Nov 7, 2018
  7. tomorton

tomorton

Mixing types of MA in a strategy has no intrinsic value. The choice of an MA period or of multiple MA periods must be derived from the strategy, not the other way round. You can mix up EMA's and SMA's, it makes no difference if you do or if you don't.

But any indicator used, including MA's of any description, should pay its own way - that is, it must tell you something which you cannot otherwise derive from the chart, and which is essential in your decision to enter or exit.

#17     Nov 7, 2018
    murray t turtle and tommcginnis like this.
  8. %%
    True;
    unless you discern on the charts a MA is getting to crowded. Like an interstate works well; except in extreme rush hour, better off going a different route........................................................................:cool::cool:

#18     Nov 8, 2018