Using the SMA and EMA together

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by TrendSpider_Jake, Nov 2, 2018.

1. TrendSpider_Jake

TrendSpider_Jake Sponsor

murray t turtle likes this.
  2. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

I appreciate what you're trying to do, but if you price out the use of the SMA and EMA on the AAPL chart (video) as if it were, y'know, *important* in some way -- you'll find miserable, money-losing performance, and drawdowns worthy of NASA's "Vomit Comet".

If you're going to post something like that, take the time to tailor it into something that tests well. Fergawdsakes. What you've posted is a poster child of Why People Hate T/A -- a video not so good for your business.

3. %%
    Another good thing about moving averages=with discretion; can be quite helpful. SMA or EMA?? Yes, both.200 simple ma, 200 ex ma on SPY is about $275;using IBD data..... another chart service may record them about $276...... We don't want all selling or buying @ same time; markets don't work that way LOL. I'm bullish on small caps ETFs,[ a bit below 200dma].But closing + patterns of closing price , on SPY 200dma= is a bear move/bear market .If bulls cant make NOV green/ up; look out below,again , on SPY. Small caps had good down move OCT also.:cool::cool:

4. murray t turtle likes this.
  5. %%
    Im sure that Prof has some good points; being in computer science, he has to, somewere.
    BUT he needs to use a real life example, like stocks or ETFs + real time frame = weeks, days or months., quarters .Even a texTbook on stuff;uses real data, examples.......,..
    And if only- anything perfectly-moved as smooth= as his examples LOL.Thanks:cool::cool:

6. d08

d08

I don't think it's interesting at all. It's one of those things you look at when you're just playing around. MAs are only good to average data and use as a rough trend filter.

speedo and murray t turtle like this.
  7. %%
    Another problem; when anyone tries to fine tune MAs, like that computer science professor. His fine tune example is a perfect trend.... But like 1987 or 1999 or most any real trend, never that smooth.Adding to the complexity, for some, IBD , instead of using a 50 week MA; or a too little to late WSJ goofy 65day :cool:ma, IBD jumps down to a 40 week moving average. NEVER could find anything interesting about 40 sma.......................................................................:D

8. Maybe I wasn't clear in my previous post. The link I provided was to the first of a series on what moving averages are and how they can be used in real life. Those applications are worked out in subsequent episodes of that series.

murray t turtle likes this.
  9. TrendSpider_Jake

TrendSpider_Jake Sponsor

Our business is an automated charting platform, not trade ideas. This was simply a way to look at moving averages differently. Every pattern is going to test differently on each ticker and I can promise you I have tested it and have great profits on different tickers. Thanks for the feedback though :)

10. TrendSpider_Jake

TrendSpider_Jake Sponsor

To each his or her own! Just an idea of how to look at price action differently. Thanks for the reply.

#10     Nov 6, 2018