Using The Darvas System

Discussion in 'Journals' started by toby, Jun 15, 2005.

1. toby

toby

Colume A

H>Ref(HHV(H,250),-1)

Colume B

HHV(H,250),-1) > 2*LLV(L,250)

Colume C

C

Filter
    colA=1 AND colB=1 AND colC>5

P/S: I am not a MetaStock Coding Expert; although the above exploration can list the 'potential' Darvas Stocks as well but I think someone with more experienced surely can come out with a better code. Looking for sharing here, thanks!

#41     Jun 29, 2005
  2. toby

toby

#42     Jun 29, 2005
  3. toby

toby

Hi Mike,

What I do is this....when a bottom is firmly established, I set a margin of 1% below the bottom. As long as it doesn't dip below this figure, I would consider the box is still intact. This is the reason why LUB showed in my scan.

I try to keep things simple in my "1st version" of Darvas Trading System, am also thinking to add volume as a criteria in future to further refine this great technique.

I am unable to automate the scanning process at this stage, it takes me more than 3 hours to scan for the NYSE Darvas Stocks. Hopefully I can come out a better scan code in near future, then I can cover for more stocks.

#43     Jun 30, 2005
  4. Thanks for your help Toby!

However I got this error message:

Column B Error message:
    Extra or invalid use of ',' or ')' character(s)

Column B is:

HHV(H,250),-1) > 2*LLV(L,250)

I got same error message with typing this:

(HHV(H,200),-1) > 2*LLV(L,250)

Any help?

Sorry for my ignorance :(

PS What can i do to add some high volume rule?

#44     Jun 30, 2005
  5. Toby:

I saw your note about scanning.

For what its worth, I use Amibroker for end of day scans and use it to download end of day data for free from Yahoo.

I have built some fairly simple formulas to do the scans and it scans my ticket list (about 8000 stocks from nasdaq, nyse, amex) in under 5 minutes. I also like the fact that I am quickly able to change critiera via their programming langugue (looks similar to the Metastock code from the last reply), for instance I can quickly remove or add a volume criteria or something else.

Not sure what you use or if it is a connection speed issue but 3 hrs for just NYSE sounds really really slow.

Mike

#45     Jun 30, 2005
  6. toby

toby

Aha....typo mistake!!

The correct one is

Column B

HHV(H,250) > 2*LLV(L,250) :p

Try to add this volume>500 in your filter for high volume rule.

#46     Jun 30, 2005
  7. toby

toby

Breakout buy signals given on these stocks:

CIG, EOG, HOS and LSI

#47     Jun 30, 2005
  8. toby

toby

Hi Mike,

I am using Metastock and Reuters DataLink as my EOD provider. The downloading and scanning process normally will take me around 40 mins to get a list of 'potential' Darvas stocks.

Because I am unable to write a good programming code, then I have to manually to look for the right candidates. This human work is very time consuming.... :mad:

I am still looking for someone more experienced to help me solving this problem. :confused:

Will consider your suggestion to try Amibroker, many thanks!

#48     Jul 1, 2005
  9. gmb1994

gmb1994

#49     Jul 1, 2005
  10. toby

toby

#50     Jul 3, 2005