Using Statistics To Gain An Edge

Discussion in 'Forex' started by TheRumpledOne, Apr 16, 2009.

1. algofy

algofy

Gotcha, cool!

#31     Dec 17, 2016
  2. Soon I will find out. I need to find out which markets have been covered and which are not too. I am only in the initial stage of my second thesis. Looks very interesting. I will have to use five widely known market efficiency measures to test the systematic market efficiency between index, stock, commodity, and other financial markets.
    Usually this kind of research uses short-term data range but my supervisors want me to use almost entire data range just like my first essay - yep, tick milisecond data that covered 1996-2015.

#32     Dec 17, 2016
  3. The simplest, best wisdom (in life or trading or other)...is usually in the fewest words o_O:confused:

#33     Dec 17, 2016
  4. Trader13

Trader13

Tick millisecond data over 20 years ... I'm not sure if that's very ambitious, or just crazy :)

Anyway, for stocks I bet you'll discover two regime/structural changes. One in the late 90's as ETF indexing caused an increase in the correlation of stocks, and a second shortly afterwards as HFT became a major part of order flow.

#34     Dec 17, 2016
    victorycountry likes this.
  5. I think his point is to find out the generalised facts/phenomenon over a long period.

Anyway, from my first research, I find that in commodity futures market, there was excess speculation which caused the boom and bust in commodity price during 2008. Concerned regulators stepped in and placed speculation constraint on main futures market including FX futrures in 2009 and thereafter, speculators did not destablise the commodity price . Regulators simply don't allow it anymore and thus spot price don't deviate too much from the fundamental value nowdays.

In other words, the usefulness of TA has deteriorated in derivative markets. So if you use it is without accompanying the fundamental analysis - just like statistical arbitrage, it's highly likely that you are doing gambling. Now, I only use TA to develop strategies to find optimal places to set limit/stop orders especially after I had huge profits when Feb reserve raised their interest rate to .75 basis.

#35     Dec 17, 2016
  6. doggyfx

doggyfx

It was a profit with hands down really. Two rate hikes was too few to go in stride with Trump's ambitious plans. I just called greenback and sold gold on my Hotforex MT4, made about 3K in 2 days, easy.

#36     Dec 18, 2016
  7. algofy

algofy

Hero!!

#37     Dec 18, 2016
    #38     Dec 18, 2016
    victorycountry likes this.
  9. Well done, Bro :) So I guess you will take a good break until January? Since the market will become quite soon or are you considering trading over the holiday period too?

#39     Dec 19, 2016
  10. Well never mind doggy, you don't seem to be a guy who shares information, all good :)
    As far as I remember, you replies only talk about post-announcement reaction or some general market characteristics.
    I have become very well informed now about the market and macro news anyway.
    I used to work for a global research company so once I know what I need to monitor I become very active and outstanding

I did slightly better on the day when Feb reserve raised the interest rates with 17 transactions - all closed in huge profits :)

Last edited: Dec 19, 2016
    #40     Dec 19, 2016