Using Smartphone as a hotspot for my laptop

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by DallasCowboysFan, Oct 23, 2019.

1. MattZ

MattZ Sponsor

Carry an ethernet cable with you if you travel a lot.
    Have an Ethernet/USB cable in case your laptop just take USB
    Find the internet plug in the wall and plug the Ethernet cable in it.
    Done! (if the hotel still has a landline internet available. Many do despite the fact that all are Wifi).
    Trading over hotel Wifi or Phone is not a stable connection and will result in latency when executing orders.

Matt

#11     Oct 23, 2019
    DallasCowboysFan likes this.
  2. Do I need to download it to my PC or my PC and my phone?

#12     Oct 23, 2019
  3. Yeah, I did that. When I did it, I had a secure connection with my smartphone, and the wifi was enabled on both my phone and PC. If I turned off the wifi on the PC , I lost the connection from the phone.

I also had the mobile hotspot opened on my PC.

#13     Oct 23, 2019
  4. Thanks

#14     Oct 23, 2019
  5. Wifi is so widespread and soooo necessary for children to be educated and a community to be successful, I think wifi should be free. They should have wifi on lightpoles, electrical poles and stop lights.

It has become so pervasive and necessary, that it should be provided by the local govt.
    Perhaps people could pay $20 a year on their real estate taxes or something similar to fund it.
    Perhaps it could be free and if you want a secure connection with anti virus then you could be 25 , 35 or 50 dollars a year for the extra service.

Regardless, it should be free, it is that necessary. Just like clean water and trash service.

#15     Oct 23, 2019

6. I'll check my bag for an ethernet cable.
    I carried one in there for a while, but I have not looked for it lately.
    I'll keep my fingers crossed.

#16     Oct 23, 2019
    MattZ likes this.
  7. WeToddDid2

WeToddDid2

Download it to your PC. Connect your phone to the PC via USB. Go to settings on your phone and turn on USB tethering in the hotspot settings. The VPN should kill any speed governing from phone carrier and potentially the hotel's equipment or ISP. You can connect to the hotel's internet through wifi or ethernet.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
    #17     Oct 23, 2019
  8. I downloaded the link.
    I turned off the wifi on my PC and my iPhone.
    I did a Speedtest on my iPhone and received a Ping of 23ms Down 45.4 Up 32.
    I repeated it on my PC and received a Ping of 35ms Down 0.49 Up 0.59

I repeated the experiment twice, so there was no error.
    It's not a typo. And it is 1130 at night, so it is not like the network should be overwhelmed.
    It says my iPhone is connected, but I can't get the message that says it is secure like I did last night.

It could be a conflict between my Phone, provider and the hotel.
    Maybe I would not have this problem if I was in another hotel.
    I don't know.
    Maybe my next laptop should be an Apple so they will coordinate better.

#18     Oct 24, 2019
  9. sprstpd

sprstpd

Better yet, get an android phone and keep the laptop.

#19     Oct 24, 2019
  10. vanzandt

vanzandt

Remember when the whole country switched over to digital broadcast TV?
    As I recall, when that happened, Google wanted to secure those old spectrum's... whatever they were... the ones that channels 1-13 used, and the UHF channels.... to do exactly what you guys are saying. I don't know how that stuff works, but I do remember that. They wanted it to all be free. Needless to say, it got shot down fast.

#20     Oct 24, 2019