Using real names on message boards

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by eagle488, Nov 29, 2006.

1. I believe there is a pen that is almost impervious to check washing, I will try to find it and post it. I don't use checks for the above reason.

#41     Dec 5, 2006
  2. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

Please use cash

#42     Dec 5, 2006
  3. newtoet

newtoet

No doubt NihabaAshi would still follow the waitress to make sure she didn't run off with his $20, and brought back his change. If all went well, she would be entitled to a 6.5% tip.

#43     Dec 5, 2006
  4. Yes they do.

However, these days, from what I've seen in court...

These folks aren't just after your credit card number.

They are using the credit card number to gain access to other private information.

Simply, your credit card is just a foot in the door.

Amatuer thiefs just use the credit card for a few purchases.

Pros may use it to find other private information to can lead to big time fraud.

My mom had a neighbor down the street (a guy that owned a lanscaping business) that was the victim of identity theft.

Someone had fraudulently taken out a loan and purchased a car using his name.

Apparently the trail went back to his credit card...a business credit card he only used a few times at the same restaurant.

Same restaurant that a former employee was the roommate of the guy that made the fraudulant car purchase.

The technique used is called Skimming.

If you don't know what Skimming is, read this...

http://idtheft.about.com/od/methodsofthef1/p/Skimming.htm

I heard about it in the Pacific Northwest occurring at a pancake restaurant back in 1998 and at a 7-Eleven store.

Don't worry if the clerk scans your card multiple times...

You aren't going to know while seating in your seat...far away from the payment counter.

:D :p :D

Good night.

Mark

#44     Dec 5, 2006
  5. Until you become a victim (I've been a victim of credit card fraud)...

Don't give advice to me or to other victims that they shouldn't monitor how their credit card is being manage at the payment counter.

Your $20 dollar comment is just rude and implies I'm cheap.

I dine at very good restuarants such as the Fairmont Le Chateau Frontenac about 3x per month along with other top restuarants in the area.

These aren't cheap places.

In addition, I tip well if the service is exceptional...very well.

If the service sucks...I don't tip well.

Like I said, until you become a victim...

People like me that prefer to pay their bills at the counter while you sit and view people like me as being offending that pay their bills at the payment counter.

You did say...

http://idtheft.about.com/od/methodsofthef1/p/Skimming.htm

I think you meant to say I no longer have credit card fraud problems and I plan on keeping it that way.

Being a victim twice is one too many.

Enjoy your meal...I do.

http://netsecurity.about.com/od/newsandeditorial1/a/aaidenttheft.htm

Mark

#45     Dec 5, 2006
  6. I have been using pens that are not washable for quite some time.

I almost ALWAYS pay cash in restaurants.

I ALWAYS check my receipts while still in line at the store even though
    it pisses off the store clerk.

I burn, not shred everything that comes in the mail or I am done
    with, like bank statements (those are locked up real good until I
    no longer need them anymore) credit card statements, ect...

I always check my credit card statements when I get home from
    picking up the mail and if there is a problem, call right away.

I have limits on my cards so if they are exceeded, I get a call on
    the phone.

I cut AND burn all used/expired credit cards, slips, ect.

I almost always use cash if possible.

I even pay some bills by money order.

If I use a credit card at a restaurant, I follow the waitress to get a
    good luck at her backside to see if I want to date her (don't tell
    my wife please)...:p

Believe me, if you are not at least a little careful, YOU will become
    the next victim of identity theft. I think it is the fastest growing crime.

And as far the ones making fun of Nihaba Ashi in this thread, you don't
    realize how easy it is for an employee at a restaurant to leave your
    card for others to see at the waitress station. They don't give a crap
    about anyone seeing your card...

#46     Dec 5, 2006
  7. newtoet

newtoet

You ramble, and most of what you say is ridiculous and does not make sense.

I stand by my comment on your original statement - if you are at a full-service restaurant, you should show some respect for the waitress and not get up and follow her to watch as she runs your credit card for payment.

As far as your other comment, I was a victim of major identity thefy in 97. I say major because it involved over $50,000 and involved someone getting credit cards and a valid driver's license with my name and information. It was not because of a waitress, but because of data stolen from files at a car dealership.

If you get a consumer statement put on your credit report saying that anyone who checks your bureau must talk to you personally before issuing credit, it will resolve 90% of the problems. Now, if you are worried about someone using your credit card # to make charges until you catch them, get and use an American Express card. If that happens, they have the best service and will take care of it quickly and efficiently.

Otherwise, sign-up to have your credit bureau monitored (you are notified of all activity), and check it every quarter. You will be fine.

You went to great efforts to point out you are not cheap. You said:

"I dine at very good restuarants such as the Fairmont Le Chateau Frontenac about 3x per month along with other top restuarants in the area.

These aren't cheap places."

For the love of God, don't follow the waitress when she takes your card for payment. It is ridiculous, petty, and you are implying that the waitress is going to steal something from you. And you can try to convince me all you want that you are not cheap, but if you do things like this I would venture a guess that you are...

#47     Dec 5, 2006
  8. My credit card fraud events involved restaurants.

Therefore, I have no intentions of being a victim a third time.

You can ramble all you want...

It will not change the situation of what happen to me in the past nor how I prevent it from happening again.

Now...like I said...something you continue to ignore...

There are other patrons standing at the counter paying their bills...

I will continue to be one of those patrons standing in line too and I'm not talking about Denny's.

They still are getting tipped very well.

I'm sure they aren't easily offended as you are.

:D :p :D

By the way, I only went into great efforts to make it clear at what types of restuarants I tend to visit only after your ridiculous rambling comment about $20 bucks.

By the way, I'm not trying to change your mind.

It sure sounds like your trying to change my mind about how I have reduced the odds of becoming a victim in a restuarant a third time.

The links I posted explain specific events of credit card fraud that have occurred in the recent past concerning restaurants.

These types of frauds may seem ridiculous to you and if not...

Why are you so upset about following those that walk away with your credit card so that you can stand in line with other patrons that prefer to pay their bills at the payment counter???

Also, I could give more specific details with direct links to actual restaurant cases...its not necessary and you may just get further upset.

As for my credit reports, credit card issurer, bank accounts et cetera...

They are doing a great job and everything is well protected...

I don't have any more problems and it will stay that way along with particular new habits I have to prevent those problems from occurring again.

Nor will I be naive enough to think it can never happen again at another restaurant.

I already mentioned a few things you can do to protect yourself along with mention a warning sign if particular questions are asked.

You can do your usual now and have the thread...time for some more cheap shots.

:p

Enough said and have a good day of trading.

Mark

#48     Dec 5, 2006
  9. newtoet

newtoet

No cheap shots. I stand by my comment on your original statement - if you are at a full-service restaurant, you should show some respect for the waitress and not get up and follow her to watch as she runs your credit card for payment. It is ridiculous, petty, and you are implying that the waitress is going to steal something from you. They have a hard enough job as it is...

You can try to dilute the conversation however you want, but that is the bottom-line.

Now I am going to put you on ignore, because frankly you give me a headache.

But, I will also wish you a good day trading.

#49     Dec 5, 2006
  10. volente_00

volente_00

FWIW Mark, My mom was standing right there in front of the guy when he ran her card, the investigator told us that he had taken all of the info from the store's copy of the receipt. Why do you insist on following the people when all you are doing is pissing them off which just might give them a reason to get all of your info from the store's copy? If you are that worried, why even use credit cards anywhere ?

#50     Dec 5, 2006