Using real names on message boards

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by eagle488, Nov 29, 2006.

1. Damn, I knew I shouldn't have used my real name on this board. I did a google and all kinds of stuff about me came to the forefront.

#11     Dec 4, 2006
  2. That's why I spent extra last time and got a criss cross shredder that does 10 pages per time! It's cheap insurance. My mail comes in a locked mailbox. Other than that, I guess I could have sent to a PO Box.

#12     Dec 4, 2006
  3. Restaurants,

Don't forget about the security problems with giving some waitress or waiter your credit card at a restaurant.

They then walk away with it to return later with it and a copy of your bill.

I now always get up and follow the waitress/waiter back to their credit card scanner after hearing about a court case involving a waitress convicted of Identity Theft that had been capturing credit card numbers of patrons that gave her their credit card to pay the bill.

Apparently she wasn't using the cards to make purchases. Instead, she was using the cards to help her and her accomplices to gather additional private info about you for Identity Theft.

Further, you should always change your credit card number every few years along with getting a security code for your account.

Simply, if you call your credit card company and all they ask is your name, mother's maiden name and date of birth...

Your at high risk to any amateur identity thief.

Last of all, check your credit report once per year for any unusual activity especially since your entitled to one free credit report disclosure every 12 months.

Mark

#13     Dec 4, 2006
  4. BSAM

BSAM

Please tell me you're kidding.

#14     Dec 4, 2006
  5. Pekelo

Pekelo

OK, we have to stop the craziness somewhere:

Quote from NihabaAshi:[/i]

I now always get up and follow the waitress/waiter back to their credit card scanner

Hate to break it to you, but once you pay with your CC, you are in god's hands. It can be ANY restaurant, Radioshack or just your hairdresser, once you have paid, they have a bill with your numbers on it.
    So you following her is worthless....

Further, you should always change your credit card number every few years along with getting a security code for your account.

This is silly, again. What if my CC numbers get stolen right after when I changed the card? During that few years your CC is vulnerable, so changing it won't help. Maybe if you change it in every few MONTH...

Last of all, check your credit report once per year for any unusual activity especially since your entitled to one free credit report disclosure every 12 months.

It is your CC monthly statement that you should check for unusual activity. Sure, the credit report helps too, but again, once a year is not too often. What you should look for is who wanted to know your credit score, because that could be telling...

#15     Dec 4, 2006
  6. newtoet

newtoet

With all due respect, this is insane. waitresses and waiters have a hard enough job without you following them to the machine and looking over their shoulder.

It is a job just like any other - there are good people and bad people doing it. But I think the odds of you getting a bad one who is going to steal your info are at least 100,000 to 1.

Please stop what you are doing.

#16     Dec 4, 2006
  7. Lets put it another way...

I was in Chicago last year at prelim hearing to see the man that murder a cousin of mine.

There were 4 other cases prior to that case and three of the four cases involved Identity Theft.

Soon after (several months), I hear about the waitress scamming credit card numbers.

Take it serious or not...

I've choosen to take it serious and watching what someone does with my credit card is no problem for me nor should it be for the waitress/waiter.

Think about it carefully, you just handed a complete stranger your credit card and they walk away with it for 5-15mins.

Identity Theft is the fastest growing crime in the world...

No joke.

Mark

#17     Dec 4, 2006
  8. First of all, I didn't say that every waiter/waitress is bad.

I said or implied...

Do not give your most private info to strangers.

That credit card belongs to me and any waitress or waiter that feels offended when I stand there watching them prepare my bill...

That's someone that's going to also have a problem with all the patrons standing behind me doing the exactly same thing...

Standing there at the payment counter to pay their bill.

I just choose not to be one of the lazy few and sit down to continue my conversations with my friends while waiting for my credit card to be returned to me.

If you feel comfortable in not watching how someone handles your credit card with other patrons standing right there while your sitting down enjoying the remainder of your conversation...

That's your choice.

It's my choice to stand there with my credit card in view of my own two eyes as I sign my bill along with other patrons doing exactly the same thing.

I don't stare at the waitress/waiter nor do I put them down...

I'm protecting one of my most valuable assets and I highly recommend you do the same.

Once again, if you don't, that's your choice.

Also, I do the same for my brokerage accounts, bank accounts, SSN# et cetera...

All of these companies these days offer extra security services as a courtesy for our confidential info and most don't use it.

I do.

For example, my picture is on my credit cards.

It's a service offered by my credit card company and most customers don't take advantage of it.

I do.

In addition, I reveiw every item on my bank statement, credit card statement et cetera (takes a few minutes).

Yep, I've on two occassions I have been a victim of identify fraud (many years ago) while not taking it seriously...

Minor stuff involving my credit card like a $175 restaurant bill in a country I've never been too. :mad: :mad: :mad:

However, I have not had any problems since getting smart about this stuff and I plan on keeping it that way.

Mark

#18     Dec 4, 2006
  9. newtoet

newtoet

It is your choice. But it would be good to show some decency towards your fellow man. You are assuming they are bad, or you would not follow them.

#19     Dec 4, 2006
  10. BSAM

BSAM

Mark---

I take it you never eat at the same restaurant twice.

#20     Dec 4, 2006