Using options for hedging

Discussion in 'Options' started by Stoopidly, Nov 20, 2012.

1. gkishot

gkishot

If you are 2:1 leveraged on stock than it's cheaper for you simply to buy a call than the stock itself and protective put. At least you don't have to pay margin interest.

#21     Nov 21, 2012
  2. Margin interest is something I didn't even think about. I will consider just keeping it simple and going long call then. Thank you.

#22     Nov 21, 2012
  3. One of the things i did.. when starting this endevor into understanding options.. (not long ago) i went to this site.. everything is free... you can take classes, or just read as you need.. it really helped me alot..

So being that a call is derived from the underlying.. there is a cost of carry associated with selling you a call option.. because pricing of a call option includes the interest of carrying the stock .. a quote from the page i listed below.. no kidding you can call the 800 number for free and ask whatever questions you want.. i have done it several times..

"For a professional trader looking to remain “delta neutral” and not be impacted by market movements the offset to a short call is long stock. Long stock requires capital. The cost of these funds suggests the call seller must ask for higher premiums when selling calls to offset the cost of interest on money borrowed to purchase the stock. Conversely, the offset to a short put is short stock. As a short stock position earns interest (for some large investors at least), the put seller can ask for a lower premium as the interest earned decreases the cost of funds."

http://www.optionseducation.org/strategies_advanced_concepts/advanced_concepts/put_call_parity.html

#23     Nov 21, 2012
  4. Oh wow, that's a nice webpage, will definitely be reading more on that. Thanks a lot :)

#24     Nov 21, 2012