Using Mobile App while running TWS

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by qlai, Feb 3, 2020.

1. qlai

qlai

Hello, I would like to be able to monitor using IB Mobile app while away from my desk. When I login into Mobile in Read-Only mode, my TWS says that both market data and trading connection is lost. Once I disconnect from Mobile it does not seem to reconnect until I click on TWS window, after which below is prompted:

upload_2020-2-3_18-59-57.png

Once I click "Diconnect Other Session", TWS reconnects back.

This is kind of scary. Basically, TWS has no market data and if I have algos running, they would not be able to communicate with TWS. I don't know if stop orders are affected by this or not (should not).

Any way to monitor positions without disabling TWS? All I want to do is have TWS running normally but be able to see the current positions. I don't need to trade off Mobile.

Thanks

2. Nope.

What I do is connect to tws running in docker in a server at home from my phone.

qlai likes this.
  3. Stop orders reside on IB's servers, not your TWS instance. So those are not affected in case TWS gets disconnected.
    There is a possible workaround: write a program which continuously downloads your open positions and store this data to a text file. Place this file somewhere so that you also have access to it while you are away from your desk. For example in a Dropbox folder or other cloud file server. By looking at this file you can see your positions without having access to TWS.

nooby_mcnoob, ET180 and qlai like this.