Using Martingale with a proven strategy.

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by ssigma, Oct 21, 2005.

1. hello nitro,

please explain what you mean by "memory" in the above context.

thank you,

surfer

surfer

#31     Nov 7, 2005
  2. nitro

nitro

Memory just means that from state to state, the probabilites are shifting and explicit and each trial is correlated to previous trials.

nitro

#32     Nov 7, 2005
  3. Pabst

Pabst

Probably your best post ever....

#33     Nov 7, 2005
  4. This isn't quite the same thing, but I trade a trend following system and when I'm ready to increase position size I wait until 3 or more losing trades in a row. This doesn't preclude more losing trades after that, but often losing periods (whipsaw or consolidation periods) are followed by a breakout.

On another note, using martingale can definitely lead to ruin, but at the same time doubling down when the market is very very oversold can also work -- the odds of a bounce after a 10% drop in the market are higher than after a flat period....

SSB

#34     Nov 7, 2005
  5. TickJob

TickJob

The point is this, 1 in 5000 or 1 in 8000 being killed does not mean everybody drive would sure be killed eventually:D

Looking from another way, if you compare to "95%" loser in trading game, then using Martingale will only have 0.02% loser :D

Any wrong in this argument?

#35     Nov 7, 2005
  6. those odds are for each individual trade. You can have 6 or 7 overleveraged losses in a row and then you'd blow up. Happens all the time. Like guys who trade futures with $5k accounts. Or daytraders trading 10000 shares of stock XYZ with a $5k account and it gaps down or up 50 cents. Seeya

#36     Nov 7, 2005
  7. I've heard this quote before on this site: "Statistical abberations are the not the exception - they are the norm."

I just cannot get my mind around the fixed ratio approach... every trade is different IMO - there is never the perfect setup with a reliable outcome prediction that will guarantee a 1,2,3% etc gain in a certain amount of time. I am stuck in the idea of letting the trade (after the entry) tell you if it is correct or not - why would you initially bet more size into a statistically based outcome based on pure entry alone rather than just scale into being right on the trade? You are going into the realm of luck and ignoring the regular occurence of streaks (treating this as an excersize in gaming - where one has already mentioned that the outcome is always fixed). I don't believe the outcome in trading should ever be considered as "fixed".

All systems can guarantee a loss amount but why on earth would anyone want to be able to create a system that caps a gain amount? Maybe I'm missing something vital here?

Mike

#37     Nov 7, 2005