Using index ETFs for delta

Discussion in 'ETFs' started by Eliot Hosewater, Jul 24, 2008.

1. yayt

yayt

when you are writing a covered call, your downside risk comes from the stock declining more than the premium can offset. Since you are delta neutral on the stock, you can just sell the call and get assigned - or not. I don't understand how this isn't a "riskless" way to collect call premium

#11     Jul 24, 2008
  2. MTE

MTE

The long and short ETFs offset each other, which means that you end up with a naked short call. How's that risk free?

#12     Jul 24, 2008
  3. repeat: Your call has delta! You are delta neutral BEFORE you write but not after.

#13     Jul 24, 2008
  4. yayt

yayt

but you still own both so you can meet the assignment of one and then sell the other, and start over

#14     Jul 24, 2008
  5. yayt

yayt

Ok, I seem to be wrong but still don't completely understand why. When you write the call you receiv the premium, you don't care what the price does after that?

#15     Jul 24, 2008
  6. It could be an IRA account.

#16     Jul 24, 2008
  7. cvds16

cvds16

I am european, no idea how that effects things.

#17     Jul 24, 2008
  8. cvds16

cvds16

you have got a lot's of things mixed up in your head. If you think in terms of delta it's easy to see you do care. This 'covered call' thinking doesn't really help you ... it's not a covered call.

#18     Jul 24, 2008
  9. Retirement accounts (IRAs, etc) are cash accounts, no margin.

#19     Jul 24, 2008
  10. Bingo, MTE nailed it head on. You're underlyings offset each other so all you've done is write a naked call. Your broker will look at that position and ask why you bothered with the underlyings and just margin you on the naked call.

Yes you keep the premium but you will lose money as the ETF rallies. The two ETF's offset each other.

#20     Jul 24, 2008