Using IB's TWS Abroad

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by Haas, May 28, 2002.

1. Haas

Haas

I am planning to spend a month and a half in Mexico this fall with some friends that recently bought a house in Akumal. Does anyone know if I can connect to IB's TWS and trade from there (of course using my account registered in the US)? I know I can dial-up and get on the internet from there, but I am wondering if there are any regulations or legal issues that make this a problem.

Thanks, Haas

2. def

def Sponsor

as long as you have a solid connection (56K or better) you should have no problems.

3. dlincke

dlincke

I've used TWS from lots of different places in the world over the last few years ranging from Egypt to Brazil and have never experienced any problems. As long as you can get at least a 24k connection you should be fine.

dave

4. Haas

Haas

great! thank you all.

5. DEF: THE OTHER FORUM WAS CLOSED BEFORE I COULD THANK YOU. THANK YOU THANK YOU FOR DOING THAT 56K TEST FOR ME. I CAN NOW HAPPILY TAKE MY LAPTOP WITH ME AND TRADE WHILE ON VACATION. thanks again

6. def

def Sponsor

BTW, to end a long story and to remove any sense of doubt... I have confirmed IB uses the latest API (4.2) and latest backend. I doubt anyone is faster.

7. brich

brich

Hey Def,
    I live in Indonesia and i am going to open account with IB for Emini and have tried TWS demo, it run well. I did ping your US server and resulted average 300ms.
    I want to know with ping 300ms it's ok to run TWS from here ?
    Thanks.

8. def

def Sponsor

yes, that should be fine. Basically assuming the Indonesian ISP's are reliable, you should be able to execute orders in under 1 second.

9. For those who use TWS abroad over 56K modems what chart packages do you use? Are you daytrading the e-minis or swing/position trading? Is it possible to successfully daytrade the e-minis over 56K dial-up connections? Thanks

~EC