Using IB for trading american and european options

Discussion in 'Options' started by arturoII, May 19, 2005.

1. arturoII

arturoII

Hi There. I was considering to open an account with IB in order to trade american and european options. My operativity usually is aimed at buying rather than selling, so margins are not a big concerns. I was wondering if anyone had some inherent experience with this broker. Morevorer, I would like to know how are they reliable as data provider. I mean do you use their data or independent sources?
    Thanks for your consideration.
    Arturo

2. Choad

Choad

I think IB is a great broker for stocks, futures and options.

The only other brokers, IMHO, that might be better for options are OptionsXpress and Think or Swim.

Their data works fine for me, although lately others have had problems with quotes. I also use Money.net with Quotetracker. Quotetracker allows any data provider to easily be used. Recommended.

3. arturoII

arturoII

Many thanks for your kind answer. I would have another question if you don't mind. I just discovered that IB is boh market maker and broker on the italian options market I want to trade. Do you think thta this should be a concern for me? I mean, I am a little worried that they could always know *exactly* the resources I have in my hands to hold my positions.

Thanks again.

4. flyers&divers

flyers&divers Guest

In quite a few years of trading with IB, both securities and options, I have never been given what I would think is an unfair
    fill. In fact, sometimes I got better fills than I expected considering the then prevailing market conditions.

Don't forget. IB making markets in some issues cuts both ways. In an illiquid market it may be good if they are also there on the other side.

What I like about todays markets is that they are liquid, information and delivery and comissions are cheap, knowledge is available if you need it, so it is a trader's dream. Finally it comes down to the skill and dicipline of the trader. Nothing else.

This presents a great opportunity for self improvement. You can not blame bad fills, high comissions or late info. It is really up to you.:)