Using Excel To Track EMAs

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by SimpleMeLike, Dec 14, 2016.

1. Hello,

I hope make sense in my question. Forgive my non programming skills of yet.

1. Is it possible to use Excel (with a DDE link from my charting app) to track the exponential moving averages every 10 ticks of price movements.

2. For tracking EMAs in Excel does the computer and charting platform need to be on at all times? I work part time and I will need the excel sheet while at work to monitor the strategy for trades. I can use the DDE link while at work with Excel strategy. How will the EMAs in spreadsheet adjust without the historical data for instrument that I trade?

Thanks

2. Turveyd

Turveyd

EMA does seem to need twice the ticks in this case to be accurate which I've never understood, but as your ownly looking at 20ticks that'll be sub 30seconds before you have enough data for an accurate EMA so not a real issue.

Uber Scalp system I presume!

InvBox likes this.
  3. kent

kent

Why cannot you use the charting platform's tools to calculate/EMA levels an use it directly there? You can watch your own pc/monitor (thru remote access if it is allowed at work! :) j/k ) If you just want the ema levels, most platforms/charting packages can text/email you the levels if it can be computed/deciphered from the chart. But if you need to do further calculations on the EMA levels it may be tricky.

4. Thanks for response Turveyd,

After looking into this, it will not work because I will not have enough historical data to calculate the EMA once I open my spreadsheet and start pulling in data. I am looking into NinjaTrader Strategy Builder to test some strategies.

5. Thanks kent for response,

Yes, my BIGGEST problem I have now is all trades are taken while I am at work in my office via my mobile phone (Thinkorswim and CTS T4 mobile app). I am discretionary trading now. Both platforms can not be installed on my work computer as the IT Manager recently put up some firewalls.

I tried pc/monitor, but can not access the from company network.

I will not start another thread on my recent set back.

victorycountry likes this.
  6. Turveyd

Turveyd

Ipad with 3G / 4G I trade off that a lot, works fine for me!!

When you said Ticks, not like Tick chart every time the Bid changes ? M1 Bar I presume ?? if so yes 20mins possibly.

7. Yes, ticks of movement. I been trading with my CTS T4 mobile app while at work. lol, i sometimes wish co-workers just stop talking to me between 8am and 11am each day so i can focus on work and trading.

The trading while working is alot of work, that's why I am pursuing autotrading. I don't have to watch the chart so closely.

8. Turveyd

Turveyd

I trade a lot, when ever I get a break of my Ipad and 7" samsung if I'm walking around, works fine, I still rarely get time mind.

Don't see Autotrading working, Entry and Risk management I could possibly code, but Profit Exits, no chance!!

victorycountry and SimpleMeLike like this.
  9. Turveyd,

Thanks for comments. What do you mean you don't see autotrading working. Is this because you use trailing and like to pick your profit targets based on levels or price action? I do something similar.

10. Turveyd

Turveyd

Okay my take...

You can pick the market conditions before you enter, possibly code that even but....

Obviously you could set limit 5pts fixed, but you market conditions change, too many variables, very hard to code let this 1 run or okay lets exit quick for a tiny profit.

It's more about smart exits than entries imho.

Not saying my experience doesnt get it wrong ofcourse, just better over all.

#10     Dec 15, 2016
    victorycountry and SimpleMeLike like this.