Using Datek

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by blb078, Aug 21, 2003.

1. The way I do this is to click on one or more "trade trend" fields in Streamer, which will pop up 10-minute tick-by-tick charts, about 150x350 pixels each.

Streamer is pretty handy. I especially like that it charts the bid and ask, not only the trades, because when dealing with options, the option price follows the underlying's bid more than the underlying's trades.

Areas where Datek could improve:

- fix problems like falling behind on the quotes during the first half-hour of trading and glitches like yesterday when the "Net Change" numbers were relative to Thursday's close instead of Friday's.

- have a robust trading platform, with multiple trading windows and real-time order info (right now, you have to click a refresh button to find out if you got a fill).

- send option orders to all the exchanges. Many times the order will go only to PHLX, where you may not get a fill unless you go outside the NBBO.

P.S. Does anybody handle splits correctly? APPX split 3-for-2 today. IB shows it as being down 15, Datek shows it as being up 11.

#11     Sep 3, 2003
  2. Yes Loufah that's how you can bring up as many 10 minute charts as you like provided you have put your symbol in Streamer and click on trade trend. Since my prior post, I noticed in the Streamer launch window they have Charts. I checked out the chart and it definetly is as functional as any I had in the past and you can open extras. That said, those charts are way bigger than trade trend charts and I do have a lot of screen space so a lot of this may be just too much for 1 or 2 monitors especially if you are using a trading platform other than Datek most of the time. Been with Datek since they started and these features are really starting to look good.

Geo.
    :)

#12     Sep 3, 2003
  3. zxcv1fu

zxcv1fu

With Apex status I get level 2, DJ news & Advanced Analyzer (downloaded but have not tried out yet) for free. It is a good thing:)

I am spoiled by Real Ticks's multi-tab chart. Wish Datek has the ability to have 5 different charts opened up for the same stock, etc. Am trying out ESignal now which is too expensive for my need but I need a good RT charting software.

#13     Sep 3, 2003
  4. LouieR

LouieR

There have been occasions with Datek that their display of option information has been totally screwed up. For example, I try to pull quote information for a specific option, yet there are times that Datek does not acknowledge that the particular option exists. However, if I go to Bernie Schaeffer's website or to the CBOE, I can find the option in question complete with the appropriate information. Please note that the free quotes on the CBOE are delayed 20 minutes.

Louie

#14     Sep 3, 2003
  5. zxcv1fu

zxcv1fu

Datek's option fee is expensive. I use others for option trading.

#15     Sep 4, 2003