Using a voice recorder while trading

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Toonces, Sep 30, 2005.

1. fatrat

fatrat

I use Snag-It, a sub-product of Camtasia (or at least, it is from the same company.)

I have a 2.4GHz P4, 1.75GB of RAM, 200GB disk space, two dual-head nVidia boards. One is PCI w/128MB ram, one is AGP 8x w/ 64MB of ram on the board.

Genesis LASER, E-Signal, MSIE, maybe an MP3 player, MSN messenger running.

I can feel the slow down during recording.

#11     Oct 11, 2005
  2. As I discussed earlier, Camtasia can take up a lot of resources and generate huge files while recording. For this reason, I simply record the DOM of the market I want to review. This generates a window of 485 wide by 994 high and an 8 hr file of about 154MB per day. The bigger the region of the screen I'm recording, the more processing that Camtasia requires the computer to do. I don't need to record the whole screen. I just want to see the specific market I'm looking at and I can talk about what I'm seeing on my charting machine or hear on the news.

Does that makes sense?

#12     Oct 11, 2005
  3. fatrat

fatrat

It does make sense. What I'm curious about is whether the processing requirements of Camtasia slow down your order entry or displays while running it.

If it doesn't, I want to know what speed processor you have so I can figure out if I need to upgrade my hardware to do what you are doing on my end.

Thank you.

#13     Oct 11, 2005
  4. My setup isn't really relevant, but my trading machine is a 3.2 GHz P4 w/ 1.5 GHz of Ram.

The more important issue is to find out how much your computer is currently being taxed. So run everything that you normal run during the trading day and look at how much your CPU and RAM are being taxed by your current software. Camtasia will require about 15% of your processing power and around 40 MB of ram to run efficiently. Add that to what you have now and if it takes you above 90% then you need to consider upgrading.

Let me know if you need further help.

#14     Oct 11, 2005
  5. Schaefer

Schaefer

Hi all, I just found this while doing a search on the net. According to the features page, it essentially does what Camtasia does but for a fraction of the price.

It's even got a free trial version. I'm going to download it over the weekend and let you guys know how it works. Here's the link:

http://www.captureandpresent.com/about-captureandpresent.htm

#15     Oct 11, 2005
  6. txuk

txuk

I noticed this too when I first began using Camtasia. After I checked the "Disable display acceleration during capture" (see attached) my performance improved dramatically. Note when you use this setting it will blank the screen for a second when you begin and end recording.

#16     Oct 13, 2005
  7. I would just like to be able to journal my thoughts while throughout the trading day, but it seems to take along time to journal my thoughts while day trading. Any suggestion folks?

#17     Oct 17, 2005
  8. Would an MP3 voice recorder work for you? You can buy an MP3 recorder or get software that does the same job on your machine. You can file each day separately and scan through it using any audio player.

#18     Oct 18, 2005
  9. How about knowing yourself without recording yourself?

#19     Oct 18, 2005
  10. TGregg

TGregg

Sometimes I capture voice during trading. Even if I never listen to it again, the simple act of expressing my thoughts helps to clarify them.

#20     Oct 18, 2005