Using 2 ISPs to ensure 100% uptime, possible??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Trader_Herry, Jun 26, 2008.

1. auspiv

auspiv

#21     Jun 28, 2008
  2. Assuming that each ISP has 99.9% uptime, and they are running through separate lines, there is only a 0.0001% chance of both your ISPs going out at the same time. The chances are probably very slightly higher due to the possibility that both ISPs might be affected by a single event such as a power outage or something, but I don't feel like going that far into things. Either way, with odds like that, I'm satisfied.

#22     Jun 28, 2008
  3. ZooVan

ZooVan

A simple way. You just need 2 connections connected to 2 ISPs(wired or wireless).
    Windows XP -> Control Panel -> Network Connections -> Disable/Enable.
    Reconnected to IB TWS less than 30 seconds (usually less than 10 sec).
    No re-login needed.

#23     Jun 29, 2008
  4. ginna be one,

On ime bro.

Gonna play.

Damn iT

Fuck me!

What do you want????

No play, fuck people,

Jay

#24     Jun 29, 2008
  5. Since I lack a DUAL WAN Router,

I have a second computer connected to a DSL line (trading computer is on cable), that computer I use for my filter software (Trade Ideas Pro), but running in the background I have my trading platform open with the login screen showing, and the login and password typed in. So if I see the connection drops, I simply grab the other mouse, click the platform in the windows taskbar, and click "Login" since the password, etc are already typed.

#25     Jun 29, 2008
  6. Someone more knowledge on computers than me, posted awhile back that the nature of how TCP/IP work would prevent this from working correctly as I recall.

#26     Jun 29, 2008
  7. a good cheap solution would be to use an old shitbox computer (like a old p4) and plug in both connections from the ISPs you want to use. then use linux on the said shitbox to set it up as a router / firewall / load balancer. you wont have wireless features at all, and you will need 3 networks cards in the shitbox, 2 for the ISP and one to link the shitbox to a switch.

#27     Jun 29, 2008
  8. dc101

dc101

#28     Jun 29, 2008
  9. Trading from Brazil was a bit hairy to say the least, especially scalping currency futures. I have a cablemodem connection as my main Internet access, and used to have a laptop with telephone dialup access available as well, when I was in the most precarious trading situations. This enabled me two venues for my Internet connections, but sometimes the problem was for Internet routing from the entire city, or even the entire country (Rio de Janeiro to Miami connection).

I would suggest for "near 100% uptime" that you use 3 systems - and no, it doesn't help that you have one computer online - you need 3 of them. The first you set for your main access, the second you have on normal modem dialup and the third you have running (or just ready) to access via mobile network/wireless connection. The best thing would be to have the dialup calling a service a bit distant, so that regional problems can be avoided. The wireless and mobile system you should have read to access also via modem dialup a more distant service, closer to the exchange or broker you are using.

Now, that is a setup for someone who is paranoid about uptime. Using the 2 laptops, you are guaranteed time also when power failures hit - normally phonelines will still work, and sometimes wireless/mobile networks still work too.

:)

#29     Jun 29, 2008