Using 2 ISPs to ensure 100% uptime, possible??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Trader_Herry, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Yes that's the problem. The delay is still too long for daytrading.

And I'm not sure if the dail-up will be down too when its broadband is down too. Another risk.

~$500 is a big investment. I have one question. If ISP A is down, how does the dual-WAN router switch over to ISP B?

Is it truly zero downtime? Will the very short switch-over lag cause your broker's software to disconnect (so you have to login again manually)?

Dual-WAN solution:
    Step A: Wait for the router to switch over to another ISP
    Step B: You type the username/password to reconnect to your broker's

If this is the case, there are still some delays. ~$500 would be a bad investment.

I want to make sure I can close/manage my positions immediately when one ISP is down.
    No reconnection from my broker's.
    No re-login from my broker's.
    No login to another ISP.

#11     Jun 27, 2008
  2. Main trading PC logged into trade platforms with my Time Warner cable....laptop ALWAYS logged into trade platform to sub account (during the trade day) off my Sprint wireless card. If Time Warner craps out I just shift my chair over to the laptop and continue to monitor positions...about a 1 to 2 second rolling of my chair with no stress. :)

#12     Jun 27, 2008
  3. The issue could be to 'reset' your software to be able to use the new IP given by the dual-WAN routers as it happens with X_Trader: you have to stop Guardian, have the new IP ; Start Guardian, etc.

#13     Jun 27, 2008
  4. What is Guardian? A software? What's the URL?

Would you describe how exactly the process goes?

1. ISP A is down
    2. ???
    3. Reconnect to X_Trader etc.

When I get a new IP, will your broker's software get disconnected? If so, does it reconnect automatically and how long does it take? Or do I need to manually reconnect?

#14     Jun 27, 2008
  5. That would be an acceptable solution.

How fast is your wireless ISP? What plan do you use? If you open your broker's like IB TWS or X_Trader and some charting software and try to close the trades with your wireless networks, do you experience some slowdowns or delays?

Thanks. :)

#15     Jun 27, 2008
  6. GTS

GTS

If you failover from one ISP to another (which causes your IP address to change) your brokerage connection should go down.

If it doesn't then either the brokerage connection is not secure or they doing something very interesting.

#16     Jun 27, 2008
  7. If you have more than one computer you could be logged into both at the same time.

your cable/DSL router should have the username and passwords as needed but if thats an issue just buy two cheap linksys routers or similar and have both pluged into each ISP modem.

another method is to take a cheap $100 computer and load linux with routing software and three NICs. My guess would be that this is beyond the scope of your computer abilities thou.

Bottom line is that I think your going to have to change some cables (or add another NIC into your computer and change the network settings during an outage) during an outage or spend more than $100.

If you live in a big city and sprint or someone else offers high speed wireless you may want to go that route. Not much more than DSL/Cable per month and then your mobile.

If your not using a laptop remember that power outages happen too

#17     Jun 27, 2008
  8. Banjo

Banjo

AMT is giving you the correct answer. The account must be open on two separate ISP's at the same time. That means you need a sub account with the broker. There is no such thing as a fail over router that will not lose the original connection to the broker. Once the connection is broken you have to log onto the broker from scratch. The only way around this is to be already logged on to the sub account with your base account # typed into the box so all you have to do is hit the button to enter it.

#18     Jun 27, 2008
  9. I have the top Sprint unlimited broadband with my phone plan and it works exceptionally well....I have not ever had any slowdowns or delays and the Sprint broadband works perfect as a very sound backup (and I trade off Sprint wireless all the time when I am remote or out of town). The plans are listed on the Sprint website.

#19     Jun 27, 2008
  10. If you do not use TT X_Trader , do not care. Banjo gave you the most reasonable reply, however. That's why I'm always ready to login into my TT account using the backup connection (on another PC) should the main PC/DSL goes down.

#20     Jun 28, 2008