User Block feature is ass backwards.

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Gotcha, Nov 15, 2016.

1. Gotcha

Gotcha

So here is the scenario. @Handle123 has blocked me from being able to see his posts. Clearly I have been highly critical of all his bullshit postings after I finally saw the light. All he does is post in threads of new guys looking for help, and his claims are extravagant, so much so that I think need a bit of proof. But these news guys of course love it because they think they are being told something useful.

Here is the thing though. Now that he has blocked me, I can't see his posts, and I think this is completely the wrong way to do this. If he doesn't want to see my replies, then the block feature should allow for this. But by me not seeing his posts, and hence not being able to be critical anymore, this is no different than the political establishment shooting anyone who says something bad about them, and therefore eliminating any opposition.

Its obvious to me now why more people aren't critical of his extravagant claims. They have simply all been blocked. So now it appears that he is this hotshot trader that nobody has any issues with.

I think this block feature should only allow the person using it to not have to see the posts of the person they are blocking, but it shouldn't allow for the blocked person to not be able to continue to question highly suspicious posts.

2. birzos

birzos

Agreed, but transparency is something most don't like, it doesn't allow for lies and stupidity.

The most vocal need 100 attempts to get it right once, volume means dilution.

The forums needs posts to generate prestige and add new users.

Therefore you have a conflict of interest, the source of knowledge is driven by a lack of it.

(sent you a pm how to get around it)

Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
    Gotcha likes this.
  3. Vertex

Vertex

Huh, I didn't even know this was a thing. In fairness though, you probably aren't missing much. :D

Everyone needs their Safe Space I guess.

4. qxr1011

qxr1011

i think blocking is ok, if you bother someone with your statements - this is a nice way to make that problem disappear for those people and for yourself

i can care less about what the newbies may learn or the oldies can say about what i said on the discussed topic

those who are blocked can always log-out and therefore avoid the blocking if they still want to read what the irritator has to say :)

5. Mtrader

Mtrader

What qxr1011 writes is correct. Log out and you can read everything. qxr1011 blocked me too completely, but I can still read (if I want, but I am not interested) what he writes. I never understood why he blocked me, but I can still sleep from it, so no problem.
    Because of the title of this thread and the fact that I saw his name without the posting, I logged out to see what he wrote.

6. Mtrader

Mtrader

Let's do the test.
    I will block you.
    You should then log out.
    Go back to this thread and read what I wrote. But don't log in! Because then you are blocked again.

I will wait till you read this before blocking you, or you can even not read this. :D

7. birzos

birzos

Let's get this correct.

1. If a user is blocked they cannot see the other persons posts without logging out

2. If a user is blocked they also cannot see the other persons post history

3. If a user logs out they can see the posts from 1. but cannot see the post history from 2.

So how does anyone ever know if a post is there or not if you can't see a post history. There are two parts to this and you are referring to 1. I was referring to 2/3. Idiotic system, reminds me of the delusional shadow bans in Reddit where people post and never directly know their posts can't be read.

Then what happens if that blocked person is mentioned/slated/ridiculed in a post that they cannot see, are they notified but can't see the post?

Don't you just love how irrational systems and flows unwind at lightening speed when the lack of transparency actually comes to light.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
  8. Mtrader

Mtrader

If the poster is hidding is profile you cannot see his history of posting.
    If the poster is NOT hidding is profile you CAN see his history of posting.

9. birzos

birzos

View Thread Posts: logged in and not blocked -or- not logged in

View Post History: logged in and not blocked only

Three possibilities on post history not two, logged in and blocked plus logged out you cannot view.

The real question is, if someone has been blocked, are they alerted that they are being talked about or is there zero transparency in that case. Not being able to see a post history and full posts in a thread is beyond stupid anyway for transparency. It would be a complete farce if you were not alerted to a mention you cannot see.

Perhaps EliteTrader uses the same software the Clintons use.

10. ...What are his "extravagant claims" o_O:) -- I'm always interested/curious about people's % or money returns.

#10     Nov 15, 2016