USD/JPY thread

Discussion in 'Forex' started by benwm, Jun 13, 2011.

1. benwm

benwm

JGBs broke up in Tokyo, which is a good sign. My only regret is selling those 142 strike call options at 0.04, now they are 0.08!

What do others here think about USD.JPY or other JPY pairs?

Feel free to disagree...I know how timid ET posters can be at times..:D

#21     Jun 17, 2011
  2. Roark

Roark

I like a long position in AUD against either USD or JPY. You get some decent interest from IB on AUD balances and you don't have to pay much in interest for being short USD or JPY. That's my book.

#22     Jun 17, 2011
  3. benwm

benwm

That has obviously worked very well, AUD does have good interest. Perfectly valid approach. Obviously the carry type trade works well for the bulk of the time.

When did you start putting the long AUD.JPY trades on? Been good for, what, two years now I suppose?

#23     Jun 17, 2011
  4. benwm

benwm

Some option expiries later today at 80 and 81 strikes today in USD.JPY
    Just heard this on one of the news services I listen to. Not sure what time..

#24     Jun 17, 2011
  5. benwm

benwm

#25     Jun 17, 2011
  6. benwm

benwm

"risk is on" but yen is rallying
    interesting...mirrors the pattern earlier this week when USD.JPY rose as ES sold off...
    Not the norm.

#26     Jun 17, 2011
  7. benwm

benwm

was some story about China reconsidering yuan peg and might change policy on Monday

possible that some are betting on yen as a proxy for yuan in anticipation of some RMB revalution I suppose

Edit : here is the story from earlier Asia time:-

US Dollar vs Chinese Yuan Dealer chatter that the PBoC could widen the CNY currency band in the near future- Dealers note that Jun 19th marks the one-year anniversary when the PBoC stated that it would "proceed further with reform of the RMB exchange rate regime and increase the RMB exchange rate flexibility - On Jun 16th the Chinese FX regulator SAFE (State Administration of Foreign Exchange) stated that in its annual report yesterday that China will gradually increase the yuans flexibility, which was interpreted as a signal that the yuan's trading band will be expanded, - Dealers note that any decision by China to widen the yuans trading band against the dollar would be "more a political than an economic one"

Note also Premier Wen visiting Europe next week.

#27     Jun 17, 2011
  8. Roark

Roark

I was slow. I didn't start getting long AUD until late last year. It took me awhile to figure out I had too much USD and no place to put it with an acceptable risk level. What do you think the next best currency will be after AUD? Surely not the Euro. CAD maybe?

#28     Jun 17, 2011
  9. ben, may I join your conversation?

The Ever Ready To Participate VIPER

#29     Jun 17, 2011
  10. benwm

benwm

Hello TradeViper
    Welcome to the thread.
    :)

#30     Jun 18, 2011