usd depreciating

Discussion in 'Economics' started by clarodina, Aug 11, 2012.

1. just nominated for " most retarded post of the year."

:D

#21     Oct 6, 2012
  2. What do you perceive the dollar -- going forward -- is depreciating against? What is the store of value in your mind?

Say you believe we live in times that will soon turn strongly infationary and that "hard assets" will maintain their purchasing power while fiat currency will not it becomes a fairly simple matter to use gold or silver as your benchmark -- YOUR PERSONAL STORE OF VALUE.

Then it becomes a matter of buying it right and storing it safely. Questions of mechanics and not conceptual.

#22     Oct 6, 2012
  3. CD interest rates are about 50% of inflation, so you lose a little -however when interest rates pick up in 3 years, the positive interest/inflation plus what you already earned will keep your money's value while staying free of risk.

#23     Oct 6, 2012
  4. piezoe

piezoe

yes, maybe three years from now, maybe more. Right now, as you noted, CD's lose to inflation. Probably the best investment between now and November are equities. After that we will see. The only road ahead I see for the euro is down as the ECB follows a similar course to that of the U.S. Fed. Rates are going to remain low for quite awhile. Gold has been good, but in the very long run it just keeps you even with inflation. There is something to be said for that.

I suppose real estate, for the very patient, is a good buy as we move into winter in the Northern Hemisphere. Problem is, some of us will be dead before we can reap our reward.

#24     Oct 6, 2012
  5. Globalized economy is Zero-Sum

#25     Oct 13, 2012
  6. Klemen

Klemen

#26     Oct 16, 2012
  7. CT10Gov

CT10Gov

This is pure ignorance. Global output grows (or shrinks) every year; It's demonstrably not a zero-sum game. Do you even know what zero-sum mean, or just throwing around words you saw on huffpost?

#27     Oct 16, 2012
  8. Do you even read "Globalized economy" is zero-sum

#28     Oct 16, 2012
  9. CT10Gov

CT10Gov

Yes, I did. And I pointed out that a globalized economy (hence, a global economy) grows or shrinks, thus, not zero-sum.

I think we've confirmed that you do not, in fact, know what zero-sum is. (and perhaps you don't know what 'globalized economy' is either).

#29     Oct 16, 2012
  10. I CONCLUDE that you do not, in fact, know what zero-sum is. (and perhaps you don't know what 'globalized economy' is either)

#30     Oct 16, 2012