USB-to-DVI adapter that supports 1920 x 1080 resolution

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bolimomo, Mar 18, 2011.

1. easymon1

easymon1

What limiting factors would exist - related to the max number of Tritton UV200 USB-to-DVI adapters and 1920 x 1080 resolution displays that could be driven from a laptop with three usb ports configured with three 4-Port USB 2.0 Powered Hubs or the like?

Acceptable performance would be if charts were current to within a second of a control display running on a dedicated computer. Limiting factors CPU, Memory,...?

#11     Mar 28, 2011
  2. Your question prompted some thoughts. I did some experiments.

My second laptop is a 17". Resolution 1440 x 900.

I installed the driver and plugged in the Tritton UV200 USB-to-DVI adapter and connected that to a 1920 x 1080 external monitor. It did drive the second monitor at its max resolution.

The PrintScreen looks like this (see enclosed). Everything is a-okay.

[​IMG]

#12     Mar 28, 2011
  3. The Windows Display Manager looks like this:

[​IMG]

#13     Mar 28, 2011
  4. I think it is hard to say. You may need to test out the configuration and do your own benchmark tests and return the items if performance is not up to your standard.

It probably depends on the complexity of the charts you are displaying. If like most of us traders all you display are price charts with a few indicators, I think the performance impact is low even if you hub the 3 adapters via one USB port. The USB display solution is definitely slower than the bus-based display card solution. But may not be that bad.

CPU speed and memory would definitely be a relevant factor. I would venture to say that if you are not using a really old processor (such as Pentium or C2D, or the equivalents in the AMD line), you would probably be okay. Definitely 2GB memory up, 4GB the best. (Memory is affordable these days.)

If your laptop has a "DisplayPort" output, maybe you can take a look at those "DisplayPort" 1-to-3 kind of adapter that would drive 3 external monitors from one single DisplayPort.

#14     Mar 28, 2011
  5. I couldn't resist it. I had bought another USB-to-VGA adapter to try:

SIIG USB-to-VGA Pro

http://www.siig.com/it-products/usb/converters/usb-2-0-to-vga-pro.html

The specs clearly said it supports the 1920 x 1080 resolution. This model also uses the DisplayLink driver software. And... like IOGear and AluraTek adapters (they both use DisplayLink driver), the SIIG USB-to-VGA doesn't display the 1920 x 1080 resolution either. All I got was 1680 x 1050 max. Maybe it is the driver software's fault.

I ran out of patience to try. Too much time wasted. Just going to stick with Tritton UV200.

#15     Mar 28, 2011
  6. easymon1

easymon1

Bolimomo, the amazon Reviews look decent, "Runs good at 1920x1200", what would you expect from Plugable (DisplayLink DL-195 Chipset) UGA-2K-A USB 2.0 to VGA/DVI/HDMI Adapter for Multiple Monitors up to 2048x1152 / 1920x1200 Each by Plugable Technologies? http://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Mult...iewpoints=1&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending
    """"Good product, May 14, 2011
    By
    M.
    Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
    This review is from: Plugable UGA-2K-A USB 2.0 to VGA/DVI/HDMI Adapter for Multiple Monitors up to 2048x1152 / 1920x1200 Each (DisplayLink DL-195 Chipset) (Electronics)
    Purchased to add a 3rd display on a Dell precision 4300 laptop. Runs good at 1920x1200 considering the data stream is over USB 2.0. Display is clear and was easy to setup using Windows 7 Ultimate. I use it to drive the monitor that gets the least amount of changes to the display. You may notice a slight lag compared to your other monitors and the CPU will definitely take a hit when a lot of the display area is changing. This is not an issue for me even running a 2 year old dual core system.

As a developer the extra screen area is worth every penny. I moved my IDE's dialog windows (project nav, object, properties,etc.) over to this 3'rd display and let the code editor use the full area of the main monitor. The remaining monitor is used for test browser and other apps. I'm now thinking about adding fourth display. Since I plan to upgrade my system in the near future - I would love to see this product support USB 3.0 if gaining x10 data transfer rates would help minimize any display lag.

The only annoyance I have is with windows and not this product. Windows will not remember the screen position so I must reset after each boot. I set this third display to the left side of the main. It on takes a seconds to change - right click, select screen resolution then drag the 3'rd monitor over to the left side. Windows will also tend to move your desktop icons over to the second monitor even though it is not set as the main monitor, so I have to drag them over to the main screen. Generally this occurs only once a day so I will put up with it to gain the extra display. """"

#16     Jun 28, 2011
  7. Dunno. Can't say until I have tried it. Most of these adapters work equally well. But the ones that don't support higher resolutions as they advertise... you notice right away.

#17     Jun 30, 2011
  8. easymon1

easymon1

Thought I'd check in here before going at it hammer and tong.

Is anyone using Tritton SEE2 Xtreme UB200 with Windows 7?

I just made a 1st pass at installing one out of the box and it produces an extended desktop -good. So far I'm not finding how to set the resolution to 1920x1080.

-Shows "Mobile PC Display" and "Monitor 2" but not "Monitor 3" under "Control Panel\ Appearance and Personalization\ Display\ Screen Resolution".

-Tritton install placed a desktop shortcut re: Display Location

#19     Jul 2, 2011
  9. Did you mean Tritton "UV200"? If so... I am using a couple of them in Win 7.

#20     Jul 2, 2011