USB 3.0 Speed + Intel 320 SSD is early

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Scataphagos, Mar 22, 2011.

1. DT-waw

DT-waw

New LaCie Thunderbolt disk will be much faster.
    i guess it will be based on Intel 510 ssd

#41     Aug 6, 2011
  2. LeeD

LeeD

Are you connecting a wireless card via USB? I thought most of these didn't even support USB 3.0

Did you notice any difference?

#42     Aug 6, 2011
  3. LeeD

LeeD

OK, intel x25 are not the fastest SSD. Are they still the most reliable?

#43     Aug 11, 2011
  4. Yes, wireless adapter via USB.

Yes, the "n" router is faster and my throughput is faster... up to the speed of my subscription with Comcast.... but it makes no difference whether the adapter is plugged into a USB 2.0 or 3.0 port... performance is the same. (The adapter is USB 2.0)

#44     Aug 11, 2011
  5. Still generally perceived as such.... not just the X25s, but Intels in general. The new 320s have a 5-yr warranty.

#45     Aug 11, 2011
  6. I have been using an Intel X25-V 40 GB SSD (SSDSA2M040G2GC) for a year now. No down time.

#46     Aug 11, 2011
  7. hi Boli,

My notebook is running with HDD and Window XP, Do you think it's advisable to up-grade to SSD ?

#47     Aug 11, 2011
  8. Hi obamapips:

A SSD will help you in the followings:

- Fast Window boot time (but you perhaps only reboot the machine once a day)

- Fast application load time (but you probably only start your application only once a day)

So the above are not good enough reasons to use a SSD, IMO.

The most value of a SSD is when your application is doing lots of disk I/O. I tend to think that's typical if you do a lot of back-testings, or monitor and analyze lots of stocks in real-time during a trading session. If you only display a few charts on the screens, the amount of data that need to be cached on disk is limited, and as such using a SSD is hardly noticeable.

I suggest that you analyze the way you trade, and how much disk I/O your application performs during a trading day. In Windows 7 there are built-in features in the "Task Manager" to let you monitor disk I/O in real time. I don't recall seeing it back in XP but only Windows 2003 server operating system. (I may be wrong, it has been a while since I used XP). See if you can get a feel for the disk I/O rate on your computer. I would roughly say if your disk I/O rate is less than 100Kbyte/sec, then you probably won't be able to take advantage of the faster speed of a SSD.

The Window's Disk Monitor utility looks like this in Windows 7:

[​IMG]

#48     Aug 12, 2011
  9. thx for the info, unfortunately I can't find this function in my XP.

#49     Aug 12, 2011