USA wins the war for....China.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Grandluxe, Jun 4, 2013.

1. China Is Reaping Biggest Benefits of Iraq Oil Boom
    Published: June 2, 2013
    THE NEW YORK TIMES

BAGHDAD — Since the American-led invasion of 2003, Iraq has become one of the world’s top oil producers, and China is now its biggest customer.

China already buys nearly half the oil that Iraq produces, nearly 1.5 million barrels a day, and is angling for an even bigger share, bidding for a stake now owned by Exxon Mobil in one of Iraq’s largest oil fields.

“The Chinese are the biggest beneficiary of this post-Saddam oil boom in Iraq,” said Denise Natali, a Middle East expert at the National Defense University in Washington.

“We lost out,” said Michael Makovsky, a former Defense Department official in the Bush administration who worked on Iraq oil policy. “The Chinese had nothing to do with the war, but from an economic standpoint they are benefiting from it, and our Fifth Fleet and air forces are helping to assure their supply.”

Notably, what the Chinese are not doing is complaining. Unlike the executives of Western oil giants like Exxon Mobil, the Chinese happily accept the strict terms of Iraq’s oil contracts, which yield only minimal profits. China is more interested in energy to fuel its economy than profits to enrich its oil giants.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/03/w...ts-of-iraq-oil-boom.html?pagewanted=1&_r=0&hp

2. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

China is good at waiting for us to screw up so they can capitalize on it. They know they never have to wait very long.

3. America forcec a long war in Iraq presumably to "secure the first right to buy Iraqi oil"... We went to all of that expense and lost lives of American service people for naught! (I hope the parents and loved ones of the fallen take great comfort in the fact we liberated Iraqi oil... FOR THE CHINESE!)

American politicos are soooooooo STUPID AND GREEDY!

:mad: :mad:

4. Mercor

Mercor

It seems this is a failure of post war negotiations?
    Our exit policy should have made provisions for business opportunities.

Of course, we had no exit policy.

5. pspr

pspr

I don't know if it matters where that oil goes so long as it goes somewhere. If the Chinese get Iraq oil they don't need to get it elsewhere thus alleviating demand.

We won't be needing overseas imported oil and gas soon unless Democraps find ways to screw things up like they are doing with the Keystone pipeline and blocking California production.

6. Eight

Eight

We were baited with the contracts for rebuilding Kuwait and Iraq before the First Gulf War. After that war the contracts went to Japan!! I'm not for any of these wars, especially in the ME. They kill each other continually already, why get into it?