USA Has Launched a New Financial World War

Discussion in 'Economics' started by bearice, Oct 17, 2010.

1. What is to stop U.S. banks and their customers from creating $1 trillion, $10 trillion or even $50 trillion on their computer keyboards to buy up all the bonds and stocks in the world, along with all the land and other assets for sale in the hope of making capital gains and pocketing the arbitrage spreads by debt leveraging at less than 1 per cent interest cost? This is the game that is being played today.

Finance is the new form of warfare - without the expense of a military overhead and an occupation against unwilling hosts. It is a competition in credit creation to buy foreign resources, real estate, public and privatized infrastructure, bonds and corporate stock ownership. Who needs an army when you can obtain the usual objective (monetary wealth and asset appropriation) simply by financial means? All that is required is for central banks to accept dollar credit of depreciating international value in payment for local assets. Victory promises to go to whatever economy's banking system can create the most credit, using an army of computer keyboards to appropriate the world's resources. The key is to persuade foreign central banks to accept this electronic credit.

U.S. officials demonize foreign countries as aggressive "currency manipulators" keeping their currencies weak. But they simply are trying to protect their currencies from being pushed up against the dollar by arbitrageurs and speculators flooding their financial markets with dollars. Foreign central banks find them obliged to choose between passively letting dollar inflows push up their exchange rates - thereby pricing their exports out of global markets - or recycling these dollar inflows into U.S. Treasury bills yielding only 1% and whose exchange value is declining. (Longer-term bonds risk a domestic dollar-price decline if U.S interest rates should rise.)

"Quantitative easing" is a euphemism for flooding economies with credit, that is, debt on the other side of the balance sheet. The Fed is pumping liquidity and reserves into the domestic financial system to reduce interest rates, ostensibly to enable banks to "earn their way" out of negative equity resulting from the bad loans made during the real estate bubble. But why would banks lend more under conditions where a third of U.S. homes already are in negative equity and the economy is shrinking as a result of debt deflation?

Complete article-:

http://www.alternet.org/news/148481...st_of_the_world_will_fight_back_/?page=entire

2. zdreg

zdreg

the US ponzi system (public sector debt and future obligations)has reached a tipping point. timber!

3. I think Globalization works for Employers but not to Employees.

4. Eight

Eight

I think you're right about that... the "me generation" is going to be hung publicly before this is over!!

5. The title says, "and How the Rest of the World Will Fight Back".

6. For decades the world economy has been unbalanced by cheap credit and huge piles of debt.

It fueled the deindustrialization of US.

Now a major painful correction is underway.

Soon were are going to see Made in USA again.:)

7. Not without the election of a Libertarian President and Congress..

8. LEAPup

LEAPup

Good post! I agree.

Once we rid ourselves of these spineless, no balls, communist idiots "running" the Country, I am hopeful to see the US emerge strong with industrial goods booming, and people actually working.

If we stay on the path we are on now, I'd say in four years, the US will be about as productive as Zimbabwe...:(

9. I hope not.

10. You're hoping manufacturing and economic power returns to the US in an Obama, Communist-like regime? Never happen.

#10     Oct 18, 2010