USA Economy is strong ?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by syswizard, Nov 24, 2005.

1. What I am curious about is how much of that debt the US has incurred, is from foreign investment in US markets. If a large portion has to do with foreign investment (which is considered a US debt), then this tells me that the situation is not as bad as people predict.

#51     Dec 6, 2005
  2. newbunch

newbunch

“This is my long-run forecast in brief: The material conditions of life will continue to get better for most people, most of the time, indefinitely. Within a century or two, all nations and most of humanity will be at or above today’s Western living standard. I also speculate, however, that many people will continue to think and say that the conditions of life are getting worse.” Julian Simon

#52     Dec 6, 2005
  3. #53     Dec 6, 2005

4. yes this may be happening but this is not the main "liquidity" group that got this party started. in the not too distant future there will be articles or maybe even a book written about this huge flow of liquidity into the worlds markets and where a lot of it came from. :)

#54     Dec 6, 2005
  5. While everybody is concerned with US public debt at 60% of GDP, Japans is like 300%. In Europe nations routinely run budget deficits at 3-4% of GDP, comparable to what we have in US. Yet nobody is predicting gloom and doom for those countries. Seems like left wing media is trying to talk down USA as they usually do in other areas.

#55     Dec 6, 2005
  6. On the contraire we are not only talking about the US ills but most scholarly and well thought out pundits talk of world markets in the same breath when we talk about the next big wave (to quote elliot wave aficionados)
    The great depression was world wide phenomenon and the next one will be as well....

#56     Dec 6, 2005
  7. GetReal

GetReal

:D I couldn't have said it better myself

#57     Dec 6, 2005
  8. The official figures arent particularly meaningful, i think.
    Why? They cant measure the potential resilience of an economy, only evaluation of the "black" economy can realistically determine how hard hitting a significant downturn might be. And theres no figures for that. Are there?

#58     Dec 7, 2005
  9. massive bear here. i think this whole place is going down the shitter. (of course i also think we will overcome that after 20 years or so).

but.

in case i'm wrong, i do read the optimistic "this time it's different" stuff too...

for those who want the positive side of things: http://www.gavekal.com/

#59     Dec 7, 2005
  10. The book on that site called "Our Brave New World" is worth the $20. (I still don't think he's right though)

#60     Dec 7, 2005