USA Economy is strong ?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by syswizard, Nov 24, 2005.

1. What I do not understand about your statement here is that both gold and the S&P broke out for new highs basically at the same time. How does the price of gold indicate a lower market? Gold traded in a range the same as the SPX for the first half of the year and then broke out at the same time. Gold can correlate with the market.

If anything, I would say that the fact that both gold and equities are trading up is more of a bullish signal than a bearish signal for the stock market. Basically people are saying buy stocks or gold, you're going to make money either way.

#21     Dec 5, 2005
  2. I'm surprised no one mentioned Craig Barrett over at Intel comment about the potential future of Intel operations (along with many other US companies) in the US. Intel would have its HQ in the US but those would be the only US employees on the payroll as everything else is done outiside overseas. I don't whether thats good or not.

#22     Dec 5, 2005
  3. Hi,

24 hours a day, day in day out, people are indoctrinated by TV-stations like CNBC and their talking heads to buy stocks. Does gold or gold stocks gets any support from them? No, never!
    So it's a very important sign that gold is running now.

#23     Dec 5, 2005
  4. I saw those comments. Nearly upchucked my breakfast. Its typical CEO BS. Same thing that Carly Fiorina did. Fire the US workers for cheaper replacements, but then deliver an obnoxious lecture about the state of US education to justify the move.

Bill Gates goes around lecturing students that they should study computers, but everyone with half a brain knows that traditional IT 'warm body in a seat' work is getting outsourced up the wazoo. Who is he kidding?

The last few IT places I worked at had many American programmers who were PhDs and had graduate degrees. What Barrett said was typical self-serving BS.

#24     Dec 5, 2005
  5. Oddly enough when the price of gold spent all those years imitating a caterpillar, when no one wanted gold, those same goldbugs WERE in fact saying that the market was lying. (Yes I know the market was manipulated by THEM... blah blah blah.)

#25     Dec 5, 2005
  6. This does not explain the matter at hand here. If both gold and the market are going up, then they are both going up. People speculate the value of gold is $800.00 or above. What does this have to do with equities? If demand for gold is coming from countries outside of the U.S., then that may just be telling us something about their own markets. It does not necessarily implicate that the U.S. markets are bearish or that inflation in this country is out of control.

#26     Dec 5, 2005
  7. Hi,
    Sorry, I never "blah blah blah". Do you agree that gold is money? I think you will. Do you have a charting program? O.K. Than display the Relative Strength of the Dow Jones against Gold. What you will see is the Dow Jones in units of gold (not $). Maybe that's more convincing to you!

#27     Dec 5, 2005
  8. loza

loza Guest

I do not proclaim that your assertion of the general economy is iffy and GOOD PAYING (<$20/hour) jobs are scarce. I see gold prices and read between the lines and the bullshit. However you should reevaluate your wife's job seeking experience and expectations. Also where do you live ? Some areas are more depressed and job markets are very very regional. Your wife should reevaluate her job search strategy and salary expectations. Best of luck.

#28     Dec 5, 2005
  9. Of course if you are looking at the relative strength of the Dow versus gold it will be stated in units of gold. You are looking at the relative strength versus gold! If you look at the relative strength of the Dow versus the Yen, guess what units the Dow will be reflected in.

#29     Dec 5, 2005

10. Hello! Did you see the DIRECTION of that graph?

#30     Dec 5, 2005